Idle rough, popping from exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carguy77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 k1500 5.0 is idling rough, and popping out of the exhaust. It starts fine, seems to rev ok. It's got a new coil and ignition module. I checked the rotor it turns fine no jumping or skipping. The only thing I haven't done is check where the rotor is pointing at TDC. Truck has 256k mi so i guess it's possible the timing chain jumped a tooth. But from what I've read that usually comes with hard starting too, but that's not happening.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you have poor (or no) spark only at #2? Any codes (P0302 misfire for example)?

Try swapping the plug and then the wire with another cylinder to see if the no-spark follows, but best “shotgun parts” guess would be the distributor cap if the issue stays localized to that cylinder.

Last edited:

carguy77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you have poor (or no) spark only at #2? Any codes (P0302 misfire for example)?

Try swapping the plug and then the wire with another cylinder to see if the no-spark follows, but best “shotgun parts” guess would be the distributor cap if the issue stays localized to that cylinder.

I had intermittent spark at 2. Had code p300. I was replacing the cap but the screw holes got stripped on the distributor so I had to replace it too. Changed the plug in cyl 2. Runs just fine now