I reconed my subwoofer a while back.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
A while back I got an RE (Resonant Engineering) 15" 2004 *** model. It was coned for a quad single ohm configuration. Well it was well abused before I got it being a competition subwoofer. Well I got a recone kit from Fi car audio since the owner originally designed the *** when he worked at RE.

I didn't get too many pictures because I was wanting to get it done so I could have my bass back.

Heres the kit I got from Fi.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what came out of my subwoofer....

The first thing you do once you pull out the cone is to tape up the gap in the magnet.
Once done with that you use an angle grinder with a 120 grit sanding disk to clean the lip on the basket and down near the gap.

Once ready you need to shim out the coil evenly with manila folder strips to center it as best as possible, once thats done you tape the shims together to have them ready for glueing. I used Loctite 15 min epoxy as per recommendations from Fi and small clamps from Harbor Freight to make good contact.

When your done with that, solder the leads to the input terminals or lead wires depending on what came with your sub.

I figured it would handle what I could throw at it fully optioned out with double layer spiders and quad flat tinsel leads. It was interesting learning to recone a sub and turned out a lot easier than I originally thought. The Loctite hasnt even looked like its thought of letting go yet. Recone kits depend on the sub and brand.

Here is a little more in depth tutorial, beware the ads, theres a ton.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/33737-how-to-recone-a-sub/

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice writeup man, this look's like the kind of stuff I do for a living, just not for car audio.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice write up. Back in the day I would repair all my subs myself thanks for taking me back

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there man but its fun doing it yourself. I have had to fix quite a few shredded subs. Good luck blowing that one now lol its BUILT

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I'm severely underpowered right now, my little fosgate punch 1k isn't nearly enough, and I know I'm clipping it on some songs. Oh but does it still move some air. I need to put a 2k rms amp on it, but right now the money is going into paint for the truck. After that I'll look into upping the juice...