i need a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never have guessed about the intake manifold bolts...ill try and contact the company who makes the engine and ask some questions about that. but it sounds like I will need to tune the truck and up the fuel pressure if I buy a crate engine regardless is that right? even though im planning on using the same top end as what is in my truck now?

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 87-95 tbi engines have a different angle on the center 2 intake bolts (4 total center bolts) than the outer 4 bolts (8 total). If the OP chooses to use his original intake, he will need to use a drill to "slot" the center 2 bolt holes to match the angle to the other bolts. That is the reason for this quote.
"Cylinder Head Notes: 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers."
The preimeter covers don't pose a problem, just an added expense. Also, as noted before, to run correctly you will need the ECM tuned. Brian at tbichips.com does a good job. You will most likely need to upgrade the fuel pressure as well.

*face palm* thanks for pointing that out haha

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yes you would but if they heads on the crate motor arent tbi ones id stick with those because 290hp is better than the 245 or whatever these came with, plus tbi heads are a limiting factor.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the stock tbi heads are a limitng factor. youll be going backwards in numbers putting your old heads on. get a carb intake and make an adapter for the tbi.