I have a baer gt front brake kit and not that happy with the set up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to go bigger (these are two piston) I have 17 inch American racing ralley wheels. Is it possable to go two caliper ?
Thanks in Advance
Skip

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to go bigger (these are two piston) I have 17 inch American racing ralley wheels. Is it possable to go two caliper ?
Thanks in Advance
Skip
WHAT VEHICLE?

Link to, or part number of the Baer brakes you have?

Did you bleed the ABS with a scan tool? Hydraulic or vacuum brake booster?

What were the original brakes? JN/JB3? JN/JB5? JN/JB6? JD7? JD8? JF9?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the setup disappoints you? Is it not able to lock up the tires fast enough? What is the friction code on the Baer pads? It's typically printed on the back, FF, GG or HH are most likely.

Once your brakes cause lockup, there's nothing that bigger brakes or more surface area will improve - it's all on your tires to do the stopping.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the setup disappoints you? Is it not able to lock up the tires fast enough? What is the friction code on the Baer pads? It's typically printed on the back, FF, GG or HH are most likely.

Once your brakes cause lockup, there's nothing that bigger brakes or more surface area will improve - it's all on your tires to do the stopping.
It not that they lock but the other way around. I do not like that they do not stop fast enough. I did 2001 master and brake booster also a complete 2001 rear with 2 piston stock brake calipers. Next I will remove abs and add a adjustable proportion valve because valve in stock abs is for disc drum set up. So I am hoping that by removal of abs and proportion valve do fix problem. I was looking ahead in case it does not.
Thanks

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE?

Link to, or part number of the Baer brakes you have?

Did you bleed the ABS with a scan tool? Hydraulic or vacuum brake booster?

What were the original brakes? JN/JB3? JN/JB5? JN/JB6? JD7? JD8? JF9?
Hi Schurkey. 1997 2dr Tahoe w/383 l31 storker. Yes I bleed brake system and had abs bleed using scan tool.
Everything always made a good improvement. But nor good enough yet.Vacum booster do not trust hydralic had a friend lose his hydro with no warning and went into fence. All I remember is the front calipier and set up was called gt 2 2 piston caliper with ther custom spindles and 2 pc rotor to fit my 17 inch wheels. Have not but thought about different pads Thanks you are always full of good info. wish I could bring truck to you.

Schurkey

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Schurkey. 1997 2dr Tahoe
I don't know for sure, but I think that would have had JB6 brakes--with the good, 11.x Duo-Servo drums in back.

I know almost nothing about the GMT800 brakes. Wouldn't surprise me to find that small, 1500-series rear discs have less stopping power than the 11.x drums.

Yes I bleed brake system and had abs bleed using scan tool.
Good to know.

Vacum booster do not trust hydralic had a friend lose his hydro with no warning and went into fence.
Sounds like he had a failed accumulator. Hydroboost, just like vacuum boosters, should give you 2, maybe 3 assisted brake applications after the engine has been shut off.

All I remember is the front calipier and set up was called gt 2 2 piston caliper with ther custom spindles and 2 pc rotor to fit my 17 inch wheels.
What does Baer suggest for a master cylinder? Unlikely that your new calipers are of the low-drag design, so losing the Quick Take-Up master cylinder is no big deal. But you'd still need to match the master cylinder piston diameter to the fluid needs of the system. Too-small pistons in the master cylinder leads to low brake pedal. Too big leads to excessive pedal effort, but provides a nice, high pedal.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It not that they lock but the other way around. I do not like that they do not stop fast enough. I did 2001 master and brake booster also a complete 2001 rear with 2 piston stock brake calipers. Next I will remove abs and add a adjustable proportion valve because valve in stock abs is for disc drum set up. So I am hoping that by removal of abs and proportion valve do fix problem. I was looking ahead in case it does not.
So your brakes don't lock up at all? Yeah, that's a problem. As Schurkey asked, what does Baer recommend for a master cylinder? Right now it sounds like you have a mish mash of parts, and modifying it further isn't going to fix anything until you find the current issue.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going from 1 piston to 2 piston per caliper is going to require a master that moves more fluid at the same pressure. I think you need a bigger bore. But I'm just some dude on the internet. Call Baer.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like you have too much going on to just scrap the baer calipers. Hydroboost may bandaid the problem but you still have something not right. Probably the master. Maybe get a master that was designed for rear disks rather than doing a proportioning valve?