I/H/E/T or LQ4 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only difference between the lq9 and lq4 is the pistons. No need to get the lq9 due to the price increase. You will be more than happy with a 5.3 or lq4

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I wasn't to impressed with my coworkers 05' 1500. It was fine for a stock truck, but it felt lacking in the bottom end. Doesn't the 5,7 have a better bottom end than the 5.3? I know from a dig, my 5.4 02 F-150 (at the time) pulled 3 car lengths on him before he passed me around 80.

I know they aren't to far off, but I figure if I am going to do a swap, I don't want to have any regrets over a few hundred dollars. Ain't worth doing if you ain't gonna do it right?

If someone wants to sell me on a 5.3 though, I'll listen without bias.

Think I am leaning towards 6.0 or 6BT. I am going to research the 6BT, since I have the motor - but I don't know how much it's going to cost otherwise. 6.0 seems a happy medium between a 5.3 and 8.1, and seems as close to as plug and play as I can get for a engine swap.

Or I could just stick with my 5.7... who knows. Gotta get the wife on board first.

Lol.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Gear ratios, tire size ( and weight ) vehicle weight, and state of tune can make comparisons between vehicles hard.

The LS engines are light years better than vortec engines for a lot of reasons, but it has to make financial sense as well to do a swap.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do a 6BT! A few cummins converstions have popped up here in the recent past (i.e. http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1535320?ad_cid=2) I was leaning toward a 6BT in my K2500. A friend hooked me up with a damaged G56 6 speed to go behind it. While it was in the shop being rebuilt, my dad and I changed our minds and went with a crate 383 instead. Still waiting for the G56 to be finished and on to the auction block!

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Gear ratios, tire size ( and weight ) vehicle weight, and state of tune can make comparisons between vehicles hard.

The LS engines are light years better than vortec engines for a lot of reasons, but it has to make financial sense as well to do a swap.
Oh the woes of being a responsible adult. It's now a want vs need battle in my mind.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am sticking with the ol' vortec for now. To many other things I want to do to the vehicle atm that I couldn't afford if I dumped all my change into just an engine swap.

Torque converter, new front seats, windshield replaced and tinted, electronic locks fixed, remote start and alarm, smoothie front bumped, new welder, shop vac, etc.
Maybe when this motor gives...