'Hypothetical' Swap BBC with Crate BBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What say you gurus of which we have many :cool:
Take my truck for example, its a 1990 SS454 with 700R4 tranny. if I were to swap the motor for say a crate ZZ454 carbed what whould have to be done with the engine management items? Anything?
Will they all bolt up or does it have to be replaced with another system? What about gauges and stuff like that?
Just wondering out loud for now but you never know
Thanks
Bobby V

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I were to swap the motor for say a crate ZZ454 carbed what whould have to be done with the engine management items?
IMHO that would be a mistake, I know you're tired and disgusted with your idle issues but, you'd be giving up all of the benefits of engine management the computer controlled spark and EFI gives you. Hang in there bud!

BTW I was looking at a GM electrical manual, can't remember which one, it showed high idle issues can be caused by poor grounds on pins D1 and/or A12 in your ECM connectors. Maybe...?

You must be registered for see images attach

sparky

Reaction score
a 1990 454 was never offered with a 700r4 or 4l60 in any trucks ss or not 1991 was 4l80e if you start putting 300 plus hp and torque to a 4l60 you will have a problem on your hands

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Doesn't the 1990 SS have the TH400? That would be fine behind a ZZ454. Might hold up a little better with some simple mods though.