Hydroboost issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knowsknone

Reaction score
I just made the swap to Hydroboost on my 'Hoe and my power steering pump doesn't seem to build enough pressure to return the pedal. Though I'm thinking it has to do with the fact I cannot get the breaks to bleed period.
I literally spent 6 hours bleeding both the power steering and breaks.
Yes. I did bench bleed to master cylinder. I really am considering draining it all and starting all over again.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you have the return from the hydroboost unit plumbed?

Knowsknone

Reaction score
It's ran through a tee from the steering box return then through my cooler.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the booster in the straight part of the t or the part coming in at an angle? I've heard that could happen if you don't have the booster on the straight part of the t.

Knowsknone

Reaction score
So now I think of it my tee is to the cooler. The straight through part is to both the steering and booster.
So I should put it straight through from booster to cooler and the "tee" be to the stesting box.?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya that's your problem then I bet. I'm planning to run mine like this.

Out of the booster into the straight part of the t, the steering into the angle part an the other side of the t to the cooler then from the cooler to the reservoir. Try that an see if it helps...

Knowsknone

Reaction score
Now I think about it it might be the issue.. there should be higher return pressure from the booster than the box since it is after the booster, the return is pushing back into the steering box and now flowing to the cooler.
I think I'll try that. Its worth a shot.
I feel like starting over, re bleed the MC too.

Knowsknone

Reaction score
I got it all finished.
It wasn't the orientation. It sat for two days before I worked on it again and it works just fine now. I think it just gravity bled itself from sitting.
I also found out that my master cylinder was shot. Had to search for one. I ended up picking up a MC for a 1ton 98 which is huge in comparison.
I managed to lock up my brakes for the first time ever. I think I need to do a bit more bleeding the front brakes don't respond quite like they should. But my 3/4 ton rear end works wonderfully now.
Now to tackle my AC.. haha

hookedup50

Reaction score
I retro'd hydroboost on my old Jeep GW, and the bleedind was the PIA. The brakes worked so well on thr Jeep, I realized that the factory Hydro setup on my k2500 was shot, and replaced everything but the antilock box. Had to gravity bleed that system lots, but the bench bleed went better than Jeep.

Knowsknone

Reaction score
Yeah. I'm thoroughly impressed with hydroboost. My brakes are far better.
I think my vacuum holder was going bad, I could smash the brakes to the floor and not lock them up. And Norma braking seemed like I had to push hard or get them to work. I suppose I've never had the luxury of anything else but old vacuum boosters and unboosted brakes. Haha.