HVAC damper door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LouF

Reaction score
I am hearing a clack-clack-clack noise when I turn my '93 Silverado off. The sound is coming from below the glove box area and only at shut-off. I'm guessing it's damper door control/actuator. Any air distribution switch to Floor, Ventilation or Defrost is not a problem; sound is only at shutdown.

Any experience fixing this?

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recirculate door actuator is stripped out .Very common i have 1 93 and 2 94s that all stripped , the top screw is a bear to get at cant see it by feel only, it is held on by two screws the bottom one is easy. My suggestion would be to reach up from under dash and unplug it ,very easy to do,no more noise. I replaced 1 of mine and did not put the top screw back in ,i put a small piece of thin emblem tape on the top screw area and tightened the bottom screw.https://www.gmt400.com/threads/removing-blend-door-actuator-on-1994-k1500-sbrc.47870/

Last edited:

LouF

Reaction score
Uh...yea...not a job for you if you have back problems or acid reflux.

I can see running it unplugged is tempting. If normal rest position is recirculation mode, I recall condensation being a problem when running that.

Yes, a gear tooth (or two) is broken off. No contact fingers or pad to clean or fix (?).

For now, it's staying out of vehicle.

Thanks again.