Husky 1/2" impact croaked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So by the pattern on the washer, it appears that it was under the star shape? And s does that star shaped with shaft , get moved or rocked by trigger action?
Most mass produced economy tools use off the shelf standardized small parts and seals gaskets, readily available and cheap in mass quantities.
With the bits you have left and the part it fits you should be able to use your caliper to get the size, and refer to an o ring or washer gasket chart for exact standard size.
I have had to do this many times as antique and classic have few off the shelf parts.
Problem is there are 2 washers as indicated by the line art and parts list, but what came out was a pile of compacted crumbs. No way to tell one part from the other, and no means of determining any shape or size other than crumbs. The washers sit above the lower valve stem #39 which is actuated by the other valve stem #34 (off the trigger.) I got a one-time correct operation after having installed a regular O-ring in there as a test. Hooked air up, no action until I pulled the trigger, then it wouldn't shut off. Removed the valve stem to find the O-ring had been forced into the area above the bore it sits in, which tells me the upper washer #37 is probably a square cut seal made of a harder material that won't deform easily, and possibly #38 below it is a thin regular O-ring for a backup seal.

I fully agree these are stock items that are likely available somewhere, but without specifics it can be a real guessing game that will negate any benefit of rescuing this tool - cost and transport of incorrect parts.

The guys at Tools & Hydraulics sell some parts for older Husky impacts but none for this model. They tell me it's made by Campbell Hausfeld and I should contact them. Unfortunately, CH hasn't dealt with end-users in many years and refer you to dealers. The few impact parts I've found on CH dealer sites don't include anything like this model and are also all listed as discontinued.

I've got many options and not terribly excited about any of them.
1. Buy a brand new any other brand impact which will almost surely be Chinese-made (not interested)
2. Buy a new old stock Chinese-made Husky of same model and take it apart for parts matching
3. Buy a new old stock Japan-made Husky (price is a bit steep)
4. Buy a used Japan-made Husky and hope for parts availability in the future

Richard

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on your finances and what you are in the market for, may I suggest a lifetime game changer approach to a battery operated 1/2" and 3/8" Milwaukee 18V lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact wrench with friction ring kit for $579.00 at your local Home Depot. No more air compressor use, or dirty worn long tangle air lines to roll-up and deal with. But again, if you're in the market to bite the bullet and treat yourself to a well deserved early birthday retirement gift, you won't regret it, and never look back! I know I did, and I'm speaking from my past 50+ years of Automotive Industrial/Educational experiences, but to each his own. So again, good luck in your final decision whatever it may be, to make your life easier on yourself.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Richard, I hate to admit it, but I'm going to jump on the Milwaukee 18v soapbox as well. What sold me was changing out the outer duals on a John Deere 7810 tractor. Tried the 3/4" pneumatic and it wouldn't touch the hub center bolts on the wheel after 5min of hammering. Grabbed the 18V 1/2" Milwaukee and had all 20 bolts out in less than 2min. Watched the neighbor get too excited with it and actually destroyed the lugs on his 2500 Ram pickup, they have crazy power for what they are. Batteries seem to have a decent lifespan before a recharge as well.

I rarely touch my pneumatic stuff at this point, and only when it's a tool I don't have in the Milwaukee lineup, like the 3/8" pneumatic wratchet (and it's next on the buy list).

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My battery impact kicks the crap out of my old air power impact. It's definitely an upgrade. I don't even turn it up to full power 95% of the time. Crank bolts, pitman arms, it just laughs at them.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The old air-hammer is the only thing batteries hasnt been able to figure out how to work better than air. I'm sure Milwaukee has a whole department trying to figure that one out though.

I had a few M18s but didnt become a Milwaukee die hard until I bought a HD12 M18 battery and the high-torque 1/2" impact. Unreal how much power that thing has

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Guys.. I'm not gonna spend $400+ on a battery impact when I can replace my air impact for under $100. :) Thanks for the advice and it will probably come in handy if I look into needing one that is more mobile, but in this case, not needed.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Went ahead and cashed up for the gently-used (and I mean it looks sharp) Husky H4140 off ebay. Looks like it was taken care of in a home style shop, not all beat up. Hoping it works well. I had also made an offer on the new-in-box old stock H4140 but they wanted too much, would have been around $200 shipped with their counter-offer. I got the nice used one for just over $100 shipped. Still debating whether to buy the new-in-box HSTC4140 just to take it apart for examples of the parts to search for and fix my existing one. Then I'd have three working 1/2" impacts.. which is 2 more than I need. LOL

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Question for you guys with impacts. Would a little single tank hot dog compressor run an impact long enough to loosen a single nut? I only have hand tools but occasionally I run across bolts that dont want to move well, even with a breaker bar.