Howdy from southwest VA!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewster

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm Ian and I've now found myself driving a 1990 GMC Sierra around. :D Always liked the look of the 90s GM trucks. That stemmed from a '90 Chevy W/T we had when I was very young. I liked the look of it, and I enjoyed watching the disc-cluster speedometer (always preferred non-needle instruments since then). Also with that truck, I liked to play with the equalizer bars on the cassette player. We got rid of that truck some years ago and traded it for a '92 GMC Sierra. The receiver box had already gone out, so I couldn't mess with the EQ on the tape player. Still have that truck, and I'm now restoring it along with mine.

Remembering those memories with the Chevy truck, I searched around for a few months and found a '90 GMC Sierra. It, of course, had the disc cluster instuments and hadn't been modified too much that I could see. That is, until I noticed how one of the previous owners had put the aftermarket radio in. All I can say is "GOOD GRACIOUS!" They botched the wiring job and used random other wires to function as electricity feed. That caused the oil gauge, interior lights, and a few other things to quit working. And they used audio wire to serve as regular electrical wire. Hope to get some help on which wires go to where.

Other than that, the truck works great. It has 230, 110 miles on it, but the transmission and engine were rebuilt about 10k miles ago. I'm all about originality and authenticity in most all my things, so the main thing I'd like to get done is put the original cassette player back in it. The major thing is how to undo the rats nest that is under the steering column. :whymewhyme:

Dewster

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes.

Yeah it's going to be something trying to undo their work. While working on the dash last night, I also dug around in the radio head unit. Apparently when they put the aftermarket radio in, they used the head unit's power cable to "rig up" a power source for the radio. No problem, I can just pull the wires from another radio head and put the wires in this one. WRONG! They're, as I found, soldered to the circuit board. And they simply cut the wires off the head unit.

The bigger problem is the receiver box issue though. I played around with the one in in the truck. It's the model with two connected boards under the cover. Found that the smaller board (one with antenna plug) may be fine, as when I removed it and plugged the main board into the truck, the problem persisted. So I think the problem is with the main board where the peripherals plug into.

It 'twill be an adventure. :D

Dagen_1, I'm near Washington County.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Welcome! Interior wiring can be a pita especially "custom" work. Behind the dash is always a nightmare. Hope you get it all reverted properly and I think we all have a soft spot for moonie clusters. Especially LED converted ones. Post some pics of the rides!

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Welcome! I also have a 90 gmc sierra and I love my moonie gauges..... especially with the red leds :rocking:

Dewster

Reaction score
That and the silver stripe with "GMC" on the tailgate were the main reasons why I got it. I'll upload some pictures of it when I get the chance.