How to replace side mirror glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
df,
Although my vans are are a different style/orientation mirror than the trucks, I’m pretty sure they are built with the identical design (My 96 and 97 trucks came with the factory old school SS mirrors). The backing plate the mirror glass is glued to does indeed snap out at the swivel point. It does take some pressure and leverage though.
Enough pressure that it makes a guy cringe when levering on the decades old plastic.....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just got mine off.... after I finished pulling all the broken glass out. I don't know if I was just more confident when I wasn't being threatened with glass shards or what. I gave a little tug to the upper inner corner at it popped right out, and then I was able to pull the rest of it off. I was a little stymied by the rubber boot, but that just slides off too. I have a very tiny rip in mine. I don't know if that was already there, or not.

I just cleaned up the plastic, and am waiting for it to thoroughly dry. The glass was held in with clear silicone glue, so that's what I'll use to attach the new glass. I may have to go buy some..... I hate buying glue. I buy a tube, use it once, and then I don't need it again until the tube is dry.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got mine off.... after I finished pulling all the broken glass out. I don't know if I was just more confident when I wasn't being threatened with glass shards or what. I gave a little tug to the upper inner corner at it popped right out, and then I was able to pull the rest of it off. I was a little stymied by the rubber boot, but that just slides off too. I have a very tiny rip in mine. I don't know if that was already there, or not.

I just cleaned up the plastic, and am waiting for it to thoroughly dry. The glass was held in with clear silicone glue, so that's what I'll use to attach the new glass. I may have to go buy some..... I hate buying glue. I buy a tube, use it once, and then I don't need it again until the tube is dry.

Awesome! Just curious, what do you mean by the rubber boot? And you just popped the plastic out by hand? I'd imagine doing that with my glass still intact might not be a great idea, guess I could break it out first.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Awesome! Just curious, what do you mean by the rubber boot? And you just popped the plastic out by hand? I'd imagine doing that with my glass still intact might not be a great idea, guess I could break it out first.

There is a rubber boot that covers the guts behind the mirror and plastic panel it's mounted on. The boot keeps the motors clean.

If you have a lot of glass left, I'd tape over it. Pulling the glass off when you don't have to seems like a lot of work to me, plus the chance of getting cut, or spreading glass that you might step on.

Yes, by hand. Inner upper corner..... that area had a big chunk of glass, so I think I just didn't try that area before I removed the glass.