How to replace side mirror glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janes

Reaction score
Most people replace the whole mirror, the glass is actually easy to remove. If you find better glass in a junk yard you don't have to search for good mirrors. Just replace your glass :)

Here's how. You don't have to remove the mirror.. but mine was already off.
You must be registered for see images attach

All you need is a small flat metal blade. I use a two inch putty blade/ knife..
Gently press between the plastic base and glass, it takes a good bit of pressure. Just don't pry on the glass. Just press straight in.

Same thing to each corner. You can tilt the glass for easy access.

After each corner has been released, you have a removed mirror glass.. simple huh?

Now gently scrape the glue spots off and assembly is as simple as putting on some epoxy in the same spots and pressing it back on..
This is not only a way to replace the glass.. but you can ALSO cut out the plastic backer for adding in led mirror blinkers. GMT400 mirrors usually have an opening thru it's base mount and also on the door.. you can easily run your wire thru there. The doors hole will have a foam plug in it. Simply poke a hole thru it with a screwdriver and you got a weather proof passageway :)

Pic of glue spots.. Spots have an X marked on them..lol
I use the plastic epoxy found fairly cheap at most parts stores.. Works great and color don't matter. You CAN use windshield caulk. But it takes longer to dry, so use some masking tape to hold the glass in for at least about a day just to make sure it cures. Hope this small article helps someone...lol. I'm doing green arrow marker lights in mine.. they are just $7- and up on EBay.. And side note, mirror glass is like two way tint, light can easily shine thru, so don't wonder hard about that ;)
How do you wire the LED to the blinker circuit?

Last edited:
Reaction score
How do you wire the LED to the blinker circuit?
Find the correct wire under the column area. The tail light harness is easiest to find, it literally matches a trailer harness in colors and usually is just above the harness box on the firewall. Idunno if any simpler way to describe it. You could look into a wiring diagram, but I just used the bundle I mentioned.
I also cheated on the popular hi/low headlight MOD.. Lol there's a box on the column that triggers the headlights from high and low beams.. The metal rod your column lever moves, it's on the bottom of that. Three wires. Hot, brights, and dims.
Just throw an extra hot wire to a switch of choice and other wire from switch (on) to the brights wire. Boom, flip the switch and brights are on any time you want, even with dims like the usual MOD. Lol
Cost a fraction of an already cheap MOD. I didn't do the usual MOD using a relay and other junk because of the problems I keep hearing about melted wires or relays going out, I did a simple basic version just to blind tards that ride around with their brights on. Lol

Janes

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To be honest Im unsure where to start on the matter. There are multiple wire bundles and harnesses coming from the steering column. is there anyway you could snap some shots of were you connected the LED in the dash? Would be helpful

Reaction score
I can't because of the pay to use photobucket junk. I don't even get on here anymore because of it. Just get emails on thread replies. Easiest way to get to the blinker wires is on top of drivers side fender well. The group of wires running from the firewall to the core support are the lights and horn wires. Look at the wires on each blinker, those colors are in that group of wires. You can tie in there if it's easier. Or Google your specific year light wiring harness diagram and you can find the wires that way by color and group inside the cab.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where can I get the plastic piece for the stainless folding mirror? Mine fell off on the highway.... Anyone?

Can't just attach new glass without it.

Looked like the plastic was glued on also.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread to ask a question...

With the factory '96+ style mirrors like what's in the first post of this thread, how do you remove the plastic backing plate that the glass is glued to from the mirror body? Do you have to remove the mirror from the door or can you access it on the truck? Reason I ask is I bought some GM replacement mirror glass and it comes already glued to a new plastic backing plate. It looks like there's a plastic circle with tabs that just snap into place but I'm not sure how to go about removing the old one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Digging up an old thread to ask a question...

With the factory '96+ style mirrors like what's in the first post of this thread, how do you remove the plastic backing plate that the glass is glued to from the mirror body? Do you have to remove the mirror from the door or can you access it on the truck? Reason I ask is I bought some GM replacement mirror glass and it comes already glued to a new plastic backing plate. It looks like there's a plastic circle with tabs that just snap into place but I'm not sure how to go about removing the old one.

I have the plain glass, that I still haven't installed. I wanted to remove the plastic to do the gluing in the house (it was winter at the time). When I watched Youtube videos people just seemed to pry it off, but when I tried it I felt like I was going to break something. The videos I was watching were normally 800 trucks, but I think the attachment means is supposed to be the same. Maybe I should try it again.

I don't think there is any reason to pull the mirror off the door.

I still need to figure out what glue to use to stick the new mirror on.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the plain glass, that I still haven't installed. I wanted to remove the plastic to do the gluing in the house (it was winter at the time). When I watched Youtube videos people just seemed to pry it off, but when I tried it I felt like I was going to break something. The videos I was watching were normally 800 trucks, but I think the attachment means is supposed to be the same. Maybe I should try it again.

I don't think there is any reason to pull the mirror off the door.

I still need to figure out what glue to use to stick the new mirror on.

I just watched a couple of videos and it looks like you're right, I don't see any reason the mirror body would have to come off of the truck. Just hope I don't break something cranking on it with a screwdriver.