How to replace side mirror glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Most people replace the whole mirror, the glass is actually easy to remove. If you find better glass in a junk yard you don't have to search for good mirrors. Just replace your glass :)

Here's how. You don't have to remove the mirror.. but mine was already off.
You must be registered for see images attach

All you need is a small flat metal blade. I use a two inch putty blade/ knife..
Gently press between the plastic base and glass, it takes a good bit of pressure. Just don't pry on the glass. Just press straight in.

Same thing to each corner. You can tilt the glass for easy access.

After each corner has been released, you have a removed mirror glass.. simple huh?

Now gently scrape the glue spots off and assembly is as simple as putting on some epoxy in the same spots and pressing it back on..
This is not only a way to replace the glass.. but you can ALSO cut out the plastic backer for adding in led mirror blinkers. GMT400 mirrors usually have an opening thru it's base mount and also on the door.. you can easily run your wire thru there. The doors hole will have a foam plug in it. Simply poke a hole thru it with a screwdriver and you got a weather proof passageway :)

Pic of glue spots.. Spots have an X marked on them..lol
I use the plastic epoxy found fairly cheap at most parts stores.. Works great and color don't matter. You CAN use windshield caulk. But it takes longer to dry, so use some masking tape to hold the glass in for at least about a day just to make sure it cures. Hope this small article helps someone...lol. I'm doing green arrow marker lights in mine.. they are just $7- and up on EBay.. And side note, mirror glass is like two way tint, light can easily shine thru, so don't wonder hard about that ;)

Reaction score
Same goes for the little metal SS / (Sport?) mirrors. Now you guys can gain access to those little dents and dings ;) The plastic base pops off. But with the glass still mounted the plastic will flex and bust the glass, so remove the glass first! You can take a fine file and sharpen the putty blade to make cutting the glue easy also. No file? Rub the blade side to side on concreat.. sounds ghetto, but it will sharpen it...lol

Reaction score
Check circuit board to see whice wire is the possitive, this one the copper colored wire was the ground...lol

Reaction score
There won't be a glow around the arrow like the third pic.. I didn't mount the light, it's just taped on half *** to show how it works...lol. They have a clear plastic film on them, just remove the film and press the light on.. Clean the glass with some alcohol first.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
So glad to see this ... ive been wanting signal lights in my mirrors for my 1500, but couldn't figure out how I was going to do it ... Now I know what I can do for the dually too... Stupid question its the Mirror see through.. how do you see the light through it?

Reaction score
Mirrors are a reflective tint, light can pass thru very easily. Found sequential arrows also.
Also found the ones like I'm using for like two bucks on Ebay..lol. oh well...