How to pull airbag light codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Noobie

Reaction score
I found your write up and find it most helpful. Thanks in advance!! My 16 yr old son and I bought this truck as a 'project' and a learning lesson. I didn't learn mechanical things when I was young but am determined to make up for lost time and learn with my sons. The internet and youtube are wonderful teachers as are the helpful posts on this forum.

This truck is a 1995 and we bought it pretty much without being able to investigate it very closely. The guy who sold it to us had purchased it to 'flip' in his small used car lot. It was a black truck with red interior. He has a 'shade tree retired body shop guy' who did some cutting and welding of corroded panels, replaced a few dented fenders, found a relatively rust free truck bed, put new cab corners on, and painted it white. It is not really pretty really close but for my 16 yr old son's first truck it is a gem. It has about 175,000 miles on the factory 305 and from what I can see the prior owner had the plugs, wires and distributor system replaced about 5 months prior.

Since owning it my son was interested in adding the 4" lift, alter the exhaust tone, and add the deep dish 33" tires. I was interested in learning all I could about a TBI 305. So far I have been able to solve or update dozens of things as we go. We have tackled every maintenance project with gusto (after reading this forum and youtube to learn exactly how to do it) My son is interested in adding personal touches with new LED lights and the inside definitely needs a makeover. I'll make another thread sharing more of that journey.

Today we wrestled with the corroded fuel filter. The previous owner already had cut the rearward fuel line and added rubber hose. The forward line fitting was rusted solid. We ended up cutting it out. I was happy to find the local auto parts store had a steel line repair kit which included the proper 16mm thread fitting with nifty line 'union' fittings. We were able to use two of these kits to fasten using proper fittings the new filter in, and at the same time repair the steel lines on each side replacing the rubber (and with no leaks!) That was one of the last 'tune up' projects.

When we got the truck the airbag light was red and on constantly (did not blink). After researching this forum and others it seems the cheapest way to start was to get a replacement computer module to at least test the idea that the computer may be bad before chasing down sensors or ground leaks. The 1995 is embedded under the dash above the gas pedal. Not easy to get out but managed to do so. Ordered one with matching 4 digit code from ebay and it arrived today. installed it and now the red solid has changed to a constant slow red flash, about one every second.

Does this mean I don't have to chase down the ground or a fault in the harness and instead the computer is probably working correctly but sensing one of the modules isn't talking to it properly? I can see where the modules are on the frame (front left and right) and I inspected the module you replaced on the frame rail under the driver seat. Nothing is visibly wrong.

I assume there is a ohm setting or some way to check the sensors (what pin do you ohm?) Or, I'm hopeful I can get a OBD1 code reader, it will be handy in the future. I found a used one in California and it is on its way here. (I hope the one I decided on will be OK. It was the Innova 5512 with a bag of adapters. Not sure it will read ABS codes but here is hoping..)

The frame is rusty but so far I haven't found any corroded or damaged wires. The check engine light sometimes comes on at highway speeds then goes off, but when the shop put the dual exhaust I noticed they took out the stock cats and didn't replace them. I asked them how the computer is supposed to get a reading from an O2 sensor and they didn't know if it mattered. It matters to me. Fortunately I found the O2 sensor plug tucked up on top of the transmission, so another goal is to get 2 high flow cats and weld them inline somewhere close enough that I can plug the O2 sensor back in upstream of the cats.

Tons more I'd love to share but would like to get the airbag functional for safety for my son first priority!

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I found your write up and find it most helpful. Thanks in advance!! My 16 yr old son and I bought this truck as a 'project' and a learning lesson. I didn't learn mechanical things when I was young but am determined to make up for lost time and learn with my sons. The internet and youtube are wonderful teachers as are the helpful posts on this forum.

This truck is a 1995 and we bought it pretty much without being able to investigate it very closely. The guy who sold it to us had purchased it to 'flip' in his small used car lot. It was a black truck with red interior. He has a 'shade tree retired body shop guy' who did some cutting and welding of corroded panels, replaced a few dented fenders, found a relatively rust free truck bed, put new cab corners on, and painted it white. It is not really pretty really close but for my 16 yr old son's first truck it is a gem. It has about 175,000 miles on the factory 305 and from what I can see the prior owner had the plugs, wires and distributor system replaced about 5 months prior.

Since owning it my son was interested in adding the 4" lift, alter the exhaust tone, and add the deep dish 33" tires. I was interested in learning all I could about a TBI 305. So far I have been able to solve or update dozens of things as we go. We have tackled every maintenance project with gusto (after reading this forum and youtube to learn exactly how to do it) My son is interested in adding personal touches with new LED lights and the inside definitely needs a makeover. I'll make another thread sharing more of that journey.

Today we wrestled with the corroded fuel filter. The previous owner already had cut the rearward fuel line and added rubber hose. The forward line fitting was rusted solid. We ended up cutting it out. I was happy to find the local auto parts store had a steel line repair kit which included the proper 16mm thread fitting with nifty line 'union' fittings. We were able to use two of these kits to fasten using proper fittings the new filter in, and at the same time repair the steel lines on each side replacing the rubber (and with no leaks!) That was one of the last 'tune up' projects.

When we got the truck the airbag light was red and on constantly (did not blink). After researching this forum and others it seems the cheapest way to start was to get a replacement computer module to at least test the idea that the computer may be bad before chasing down sensors or ground leaks. The 1995 is embedded under the dash above the gas pedal. Not easy to get out but managed to do so. Ordered one with matching 4 digit code from ebay and it arrived today. installed it and now the red solid has changed to a constant slow red flash, about one every second.

Does this mean I don't have to chase down the ground or a fault in the harness and instead the computer is probably working correctly but sensing one of the modules isn't talking to it properly? I can see where the modules are on the frame (front left and right) and I inspected the module you replaced on the frame rail under the driver seat. Nothing is visibly wrong.

I assume there is a ohm setting or some way to check the sensors (what pin do you ohm?) Or, I'm hopeful I can get a OBD1 code reader, it will be handy in the future. I found a used one in California and it is on its way here. (I hope the one I decided on will be OK. It was the Innova 5512 with a bag of adapters. Not sure it will read ABS codes but here is hoping..)

The frame is rusty but so far I haven't found any corroded or damaged wires. The check engine light sometimes comes on at highway speeds then goes off, but when the shop put the dual exhaust I noticed they took out the stock cats and didn't replace them. I asked them how the computer is supposed to get a reading from an O2 sensor and they didn't know if it mattered. It matters to me. Fortunately I found the O2 sensor plug tucked up on top of the transmission, so another goal is to get 2 high flow cats and weld them inline somewhere close enough that I can plug the O2 sensor back in upstream of the cats.

Tons more I'd love to share but would like to get the airbag functional for safety for my son first priority!

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

You really should have pulled the code before replacing the airbag module .. If there was a "Permanent Fault Code" in it, then you'll end up burning it into the new module as well if the fault is still there. These codes cannot be cleared except by fixing the problem and replacing the module again.

95Noobie

Reaction score
I was unaware? would a permanent fault code be like a bad sensor? So if you replace the sensor the module doesn't check sensors and say things are OK now? I have the old module yet but you are suggesting that won't help if it is a 'permanent code' Hmm. My scanner should arrive today so I can see if i can provide the forum with more info soon here.

95Noobie

Reaction score
Blue T, I'm in the same situation as you. I bought a Innova scanner advertised to pull these codes and do ODB1 but clearly will not. Any tips on how to get the old ones out let me know. What scanner did you get and will it read codes or scan the SRS system? I can go to a junk yard but without ohm readings on the sensors (or which wire you tested) I don't know which sensor to get or maybe get both plus the frame rail initial sensor.

thanks

95Noobie

Reaction score
so your write up talks about blinking and then going solid. After computer module replacement I just have slow red blink constantly. I'd like to check grounds and wires before sourcing and replacing sensors.

In your post above you made new grounds (from the ground that goes to the computer) can you tell me more about which wires on the computer or computer harness are the ground or grounds that you rerouted to a better grounding place?

Also before that there is a wiring diagram showing ohm readings on the sensors. Can you explain which pin I check to produce the ohm numbers on those diagrams? I'm not following all the squiggles and zigs and numbers.

Thanks