How to prolong knocking motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There are many, many Vortec SBCs in SUVs, trucks, boats, and more happily running a variety of 40-weight oils with lots of hours or miles on them and no issues.

How do you know how many people are running a 40 weight oil in their engine? Gm specifies 10w30 or 5w30, and factory fill is 5w30. Most people will adhere to that. It's what the manual says, and what the cap says, and what service people would use.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are only two oils that are approved 5w30 and 10w30. I don't recall from the manual how its phrased but others are deemed something like "acceptable ".

Ugh, make me do homework? Curse you! Especially cuz I stand a chance at being wrong!

Ponrov

Reaction score
Hello looks like sbc has some weaknesses.
I have has a 350 Vortec 1997 mod, has only gone 25,000 miles, has always changed oil once a year with 5/30 Mobil 1.
when it has been standing for a long time without being used, PreLuber is used to pump oil round and bring up the oil pressure before starting.
It has also begun to make a thick sound when it is cold the sound goes away after about 1/2 minute.
sounds like the ticking comes from the lower part of the engine.
Is dissatisfied that the quality is not higher .

Br Ponrov

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello looks like sbc has some weaknesses.

I don't think so! I've had SBCs pretty much all my adult life since (in the 70's) my 1st 63 283 (punched out .060" to 301) ci, 65 327/350HP Impala SS, 60 Impala 327, and, most recently, 88 C1500 350 Silverado with 100,000s miles. It's not the equipment, maybe it's the operator or builder?

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 k1500 350 tbi. So a week ago I started hearing a knocking noise at startup and during driving and my pressure gauge reads 20 psi when warm. It is best heard at idle. Took it to my mechanic and sure enough it's the dreaded knock aat 180k miles. My question is what can I do to prolong my engine a little more until I can afford a new one? Do the oil additives really work or are they a waste? should I run thicker oil? I currently run mobil 1 5w30

Oil pump is gone park it or lose the motor and block.its going to come apart.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've been running Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 in all my stuff, from my '88 Town Car (302), to my '89 Firebird. No issues, doesn't seem to like it or hate it any more than whatever the PO filled the crankcase with but it makes me feel good. I also use Motorkote at every oil change now. I use Wix oil filters, the ones for extended drain intervals yet I change my oil every 5k. Oil is cheap and easy to change. Even when it was -10f a few months ago, it only took a second before I saw the gage register pressure..

I have used Restore, that stuff is super goopy when cold. I've seen videos where it does indeed increase compression. I tried using it in hopes to reduce oil consumption. It might've helped for two tanks of gas but that was it with the old 350 in my truck. I doubt I'd use that again unless I knew I had low compression and didn't care about the engine. I used it in my lawn mower to see if it would help that with oil consumption. When I checked the oil before the next cut, I noticed metal shavings and subsequently, rod knock. I changed the oil, put Motorkote in and while shavings are still present, no knock under load. I'm sure it'll die eventually but at least it doesn't sound like death any more.

Oh and 15w40 isn't any thicker than 10w40 at the same hot operating temperature. I wish people would stop repeating that nonsense. However, 15w40 is indeed thicker than 10w40 when cold. That's the difference. The "w" stands for winter; that at a specified temperature (32f maybe? I forget what the spec is.) the given oil BEHAVES like a straight 15 or 10 weight oil would. So make no mistake, those oils will be plenty viscous when cold.