How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think that using an 800 25/3500 master on the hydraboost should work in theory

If you read the link about the hydroboost you would see that the master has a slightly larger diamater than the bore in the hydrobooster itself. It says the master is .2" bigger than the booster. Since modifing the booster causes the washer/pushrod assembly to be loose, I wonder if you could take that .2" off the master instead?

Edit: I also just looked up a master for all 2002 model trucks and the hydroboost master is the same part number for 1500/2500/3500 with a gas engine anyways.

Last edited:

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the NBS hydroboost unit will accept the larger OD bore MC unlike the obs unit, I actually bought a NBS Hydroboost unit, and aside from modding the firewall to make it fit which I did not want to do there is no easy way to do it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
The guy on FSC seems to have done it no problem... i think im gonna go ahead and try to put the hydroboost on the MC of a NBS... im this far into my truck now lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy on FSC seems to have done it no problem... i think im gonna go ahead and try to put the hydroboost on the MC of a NBS... im this far into my truck now lol

Ya I'm just not a fan of modifying a $200+ booster. Id rather try it on a $50 master :lol: I might go grab one from the yard an see if there is enough material to modify the master. Or maybe try taking .1" off each :hmm:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
you can always just get the machine shop to do it... if it works, the guy has proff of it working, what's their to lose?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I've noticed, 94+ ABS equipped trucks seem to have the soft pedal problem. I know my 88 (and the other RWAL trucks I've driven) have some of the stiffest pedals on earth. I know my truck has always taken a strong right leg. :lol:
i second this, my 88 had a super firm pedal after it was bled properly my friend 98 on the other hand is softer that a marhmellow peep.