How to: NBS master cylinder swap for firm brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I've noticed, 94+ ABS equipped trucks seem to have the soft pedal problem. I know my 88 (and the other RWAL trucks I've driven) have some of the stiffest pedals on earth. I know my truck has always taken a strong right leg. :lol:

I know my k1500 has rwal and I Damn near ate the wheel when I laid into the pedal once lol

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 2

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the NBS hydro unit has a different length and size brake pushrod than the obs does also.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Excellent write up on the swap. IMO the only way to get the brakes the way they should have been from the factory is to do the hydroboost swap. Its the best mod you can do for the money hands down. Literally night and day. I think I had $350 in whole thing.

Sent from my Taliban Killing DROiD

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent write up on the swap. IMO the only way to get the brakes the way they should have been from the factory is to do the hydroboost swap. Its the best mod you can do for the money hands down. Literally night and day. I think I had $350 in whole thing.

Yes, the hydroboost swap is awesome, it really bring's the brakes to life!

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score

I think for someone on a low budget, this is a good compromise. The brake reaction time is much faster without the marshmellow brake pedal.

I paid $25 for the MC used.
$3 for the adapter
$6 for DOT 3 fluid
$10 for the bench bleeding kit, which I actually didn't need since my used MC already had fluid in it and was already bled.

But all new parts, this could be accomplished for around $100.

I still want to do the hydro boost and 3/4 ton NBS MC swap though, with 3/4 ton calipers. :)

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
the firewall bolt pattern for the NBS hydro boost is different than the OBS