how to know its time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i took the stethoscope to the alternator and every belt driven piece of machinery I could find and I couldn't hear a tick. Only on cylinders 2 I could hear tbr most noticeable tick with the stethoscope, and minor one in cylinder 1.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Like i said, try it with the belt completely off of it. (yes, without the water pump turning, it will eventually run hot) and see how it sounds. Noises can travel in strange ways thru engine parts. If you do find it to still be ticking, check the torque converter bolts, they can be slightly loose and cause a ticking noise (which will eventually turn into a huge knocking racket). If you do decide its internal to the engine, i wouldn suggest trying to do anything about it as long as the oil pressure is ok.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright. Took it off and its still coming from he heads. I took the stethoscope down the block and everywhere I can get and can't hear it till heads. Guess I should just pull the valve covers off and clean it out?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You can pull them and see. I doubt you find anything but it never hurts. The valve cover gaskets are reusable so it don't cost anything to try. If there is any crud up there, i wouldn suggest chipping it off. that usually does more harm than good as any small particles you miss will wind up clogging up the oil pump screen.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I usually rebuild them after the crank plays peek-a-boo through the oil pan.

-via Mobile

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Might be just a cracked rocker arm, bent pushrod.........Pull the cover and have a look. If you cant see what it is, I would drive it until it gets worse.....Like you said, you are in high school and cant afford a rebuild likely

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I usually rebuild them after the crank plays peek-a-boo through the oil pan.

-via Mobile

Unless it decides the block is a better exiting point. :lol: dropped the belly pan on a 14 Kia soul and got hit in the noggin with a wrist pin.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it keeps knocking and knocking on ur door and u never answer as u drive away and it goes away dun dun dun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk