how to know its time for a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 5.7 vortec has 160000 miles on it. It doesn't burn oil or anything and my only problem is lifter tick, which I will be tightening down soon. What are signs of needing a rebuild? Just curious on what to look for.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Is your lifter tick constant or just when you first start it

If when you first start it, I would try some Marvel Mystery Oil....should quiet them down

If it doesnt burn oil, gets decent MPG and seems to have lots of power, I wouldnt rebuild it yet

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well its constant. I've tried the MMO route, and it has actually made it where the tick goes off occasionally and starts back up. I've taken the stethoscope to it and pinpointed it to the first cylinder on the passenger side ( near the alternator). I plan on dealing with it soon. Anything i should do while the valve cover is off?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if it sounds like skeletons having an **** in a metal trashcan, it is time for a rebuild! In all seriousness though, any of these. If the oil pressure starts wavering from normal. If there are noises that are deep within that won't go away. Mass oil consumption. Metal in the oil. Low compression. Compression that isn't within 10% of each other. When you need to convince your wife so that you can replace those "worn out" parts with "proper replacements".

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Honestly, what you are hearing is probably not lifter tick. A vortec has hydraulic roller lifters. They are self adjusting. 99% of people claim its "lifter tick" when they hear a noise in a engine, but i have yet to see one that tightening the rocker will help. Start simple. Take the belt off it and see if it still does it. You would be suprised at how many different noises can come from belt driven accessories.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol if I wasn't in high school it'd be a good option. But could the lifter tick cause decrease power?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
It should'n. If you are looking for a few more horses on a highschool budget, electric fans are a good place to start.