How-To: Install a trans temp gauge in a 95+ GMT400 with a 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Great write up. This is exactly how I installed mine. Although I went with the Autometer Z series as mentioned by the OP. Came with the exact adapter needed for the test port so it was perfect. The supplied adapter will also fit the test port on a 4L80E for anyone who wants to do this on their 2500/3500. Except with the 80 the shift linkage bracket is right in the way of the test port so you'll either have to try and wiggle around it, or disconnect it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Except with the 80 the shift linkage bracket is right in the way of the test port so you'll either have to try and wiggle around it, or disconnect it.

Same goes for the 88-94 1/2 tons with the mechanical linkage. When I first did my trans gauge, the linkage hit the sender and would ground the gauge out. It took only a very little bit of trimming to clear.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I was originally going the pillar pod way but ended up going the overhead console way:
You must be registered for see images attach

We'll see how long the Glowshift gauge lasts.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Great write up! when i get to this stage in my trucks i will prob be using a mag hitec transmission pan with the fitting for the sensor in it and using Autometer Ultra lite series gauges.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I was originally going the pillar pod way but ended up going the overhead console way:

We'll see how long the Glowshift gauge lasts.

That looks sweet!! When I do my overhead console I wanted to put something in that blank space but wasn't sure what to throw in there. You've given me a great idea now thanks!

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great write up. The trans gauge is one of the most important mods I have done, especially with all the towing of 6000+ loads I do. Only thing I did different, because I had the part already installed, I moved my sensor from the port to a drain plug in the pan ( added it years bad, not factory). I have found that the temp is generally higher than in a pressure line. Why, I do not know, I am guessing it is further from the entry point from the cooler. I left it there as I would prefer to be safer than sorry. I sit a about 160* under regular driving and up to about 200-210 when regular towing and over 220 when under hard load. I have since purchase a new aux. trans cooler on top of the factory one that uses a 7" fan. (previously had a finned rail style cooler plus factory)

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I didn't realize you could do this. I thought drilling a hole & adding a plug was your only way to add a temp sensor. That is awesome.
Sorry for bringing up an older post, but it should get some more recognition haha

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I referenced this thread when I installed mine, even ran the wire out the same plug in the floorboard.
Thank you for sharing this info!
Pic of how I mounted my mine. Autometer gauge with an angled ring toward the driver. All blended and painted.

Last edited: