How to get more power from the 4.3 engine/or replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haave a 98 chevy with the 4.3v6 and the 5 speed manual transmission.. I live in California and I'm trying to figure out what's the best thing to do to get more power out of my 4.3 or just completely replace it or to go carbureted instead of fuel injected does anybody have any ideas about the easiest route to do this to be California compliant to get more power out of my vehicle but not a lot of work

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I I have a 98 Chevy with a 4.3 V6 was 5 speed manual I'm trying to find an upgrade size engine that will bolt up to the regular stock 5-speed manual transmission and hopefully maybe something newer or how hard would it be to go to carbureted instead of fuel injected with my 4.3 to get more power out of that block
You already got an anwser about going carbureted in Cali. As an owner of a past 4.3( blew it up a few days ago) you can’t get much more power without spending enough money to do a 5.7 swap.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haave a 98 chevy with the 4.3v6 and the 5 speed manual transmission.. I live in California and I'm trying to figure out what's the best thing to do to get more power out of my 4.3 or just completely replace it or to go carbureted instead of fuel injected does anybody have any ideas about the easiest route to do this to be California compliant to get more power out of my vehicle but not a lot of work

Two step, simple, easy process:

1. Sell California-legal V-6/manual truck

2. Buy California-legal V-8/automatic truck.

Even if you weren't in Commiefornia, there's nothing you can do to a V-6 that will make adequate power without spending so much money as to be impractical. But trying to make more power with the V-6 AND stay Libtarrd-emissions compliant is hopeless.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@kennythewelder Can you merge this post with this one. This is a double post, and the other one is more appropriately in Engine Performance
I do everything on either my phone, or my tablet. That option just isn't there for me, but @df2x4 can on his desk top, or lap top. I tried To, and ended up with 2 threads.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I I have a 98 Chevy with a 4.3 V6 was 5 speed manual I'm trying to find an upgrade size engine that will bolt up to the regular stock 5-speed manual transmission and hopefully maybe something newer or how hard would it be to go to carbureted instead of fuel injected with my 4.3 to get more power out of that block

The same transmission, NV3500, was used behind the 5.7L engine in certain situations, so that might work in your favor.

The clutch might be different even if the transmission is the same.

Good luck with California's emissions requirements.

See the attached, and this list below:
- MW3 (NV4500 manual transmission)
- M50 (NV3500 manual transmission, wide ratio, 4x4 applications)
- MG5 (NV3500 manual transmission, close ratio, 2x4 applications)

Attachments

• GMT400 1998 engine trans combos.pdf
    670.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score