How to: factory auxiliary trans cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These coolers are hard to find online for under $100. I will try my luck at finding one at pik n pull tonorrow. My truck has the stock trans cooler, so thats a relief!
These coolers have very narrow passages and can't be reliably flushed, if the donor truck has had a trans failure the crud would have been pumped into the cooler and it will be partially blocked. Always best to start with a new one so you know what you are getting.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you can find a cooler that has this style of tubes you can flush it.
You must be registered for see images attach

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nonetheless, I walk every single isle looking for aftermarket coolers from chevys and anything that had one. Most chevys had the stock cooler, others no cooler at all. Pumped out 4qts already, dropping pan today for cleaning and filter change.

I’m in the middle on a trans fluid change and would like to get an upgrade on there before i slap the grill back on, which by the way is broken and my luck is just terrible atm… 0 grills at the salvage yard.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dropping the trans oil pan and putting it back on was a nighmare in this light rain. Exhaust pipe was in the way and very hard to move. Cranked the transmission up from the transfer case, had to loosen the trans mount bolts. Even then, the pipe was still in the way. I ended up removing the bolts from the exhaust on the back right before the muffler and put a strap on the back of the exhaust and cranked it down all the way. Finally then I was able to slide the pan back on.

Still need a cooler. Going to napa and seeing what they have tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpeg
    IMG_1751.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 7

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Flush is complete, waiting for this cooler from Amazon, slapping it in today. Hopefully its a good upgrade to my stock cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.png
    IMG_1757.png
    618.6 KB · Views: 7