How To: Ditch EFI and keep TBI PCM for 4L60E Control.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Yeah, but if I have a 4L60E already, would it make sense to get another tranny?

I'll probably just end up waiting and doing it at once, but this thread got my curious :).

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, but a good 700 is alot cheaper than the $800 standalone controller :D

^this comment prolly doesn't make any sense, i'm brain tired :lol:

siggy_freud

Reaction score
True. I think I'm actually going to build a megasquirt controller for it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the 4L60E to mount up my 1971 block.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It should mount right up, mine's also a 71 block and a 4L60 will bolt right up to it. The sbc and bbc bolt patterns are the same, bellhousing thickness is the only difference.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
How is this transmission workaround working out for everyone? I see the OP is now using a TH-350. Any particular reason?

I'm going to be doing an LS1/4L60E swap into an old Camaro. If I can wire up a TBI computer to work it, I'll do the tranny first and delay the Engine for 6 months, but wouldn't want to do so at the cost of burning out the transmission.

Alternately, I might just live on the TH-350 if going to overdrive before the LS1 swap means I'd have to drop 800 on a standalone controller.
Stock 4L60E couldnt handle 400HP

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Guess I'll have to plan on rebuilding it before I get the LS1 finished up and in.

siggy_freud

Reaction score
Already have the transmission. Either way I'll need an adapter. LS1 4l60E won't bolt to a Gen1 without it, and the Gen1-3 transmissions won't bolt to the LS1 without an adapter.

I don't believe the 4l60 was any stronger than the electronic version. Perhaps cheaper to rebuild, but not too worried. I wont' be making crazy power anyways. Don't need it on a car that weights under 3k lbs.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Already have the transmission. Either way I'll need an adapter. LS1 4l60E won't bolt to a Gen1 without it, and the Gen1-3 transmissions won't bolt to the LS1 without an adapter.

I don't believe the 4l60 was any stronger than the electronic version. Perhaps cheaper to rebuild, but not too worried. I wont' be making crazy power anyways. Don't need it on a car that weights under 3k lbs.

Don't need it? Pffft, can never have too much power! Take my 468-powered 71 nova as an example....oh wait, that's a whole different breed :crazy: