How To: Ditch EFI and keep TBI PCM for 4L60E Control.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
New Here, and just finished a TBI v6 to Carb 350 swap. Here is a how to on how to keep the 4L60E working.

Well, I finished swapping a Carb 350 into my truck, i am using the stock TBI PCM to control the 4L60E. and here is how!

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE EMISSIONS!

Transmission Control Via TBI PCM:

First off, Here is what the PCM needs to operate the 4L60E

-VSS
-CTS
-TPS
-A RPM Signal

Now i did the exact same thing 04SilveradoMykk did in his thread with his Vortec PCM, But my truck was stuck in limp home mode.

Mykk's Thread-> http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145089

I am running a Stock GM HEI distributor, and it is what i would recommend for a similar swap, I WOULD NOT keep the TBI Distributor, you have no clue as to what the PCM is gonna do without seeing fuel.

Now with a TBI engine, there is no crank sensor telling the PCM if its running.

It took me about a week to figure out what to do, but when i did its easy as 123.

1.Find the plug that used to plug into the Distributor and lead to the PCM.

2.Find the Purple/White wire

3. Take Wire and run it into the TACH position on your HEI Distributor.

4. Done!

Picture of wire with a quick disconnect.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a Picture of my TPS on my Speed Demon 650CFM

Picture of Holley TPS Kit on a Holley 670CFM Street Avenger, Far better way to go.

Picture of whole setup

Here is a Video of me leaving my driveway, as you can see my tranny is functioning proper (I still manual shift it) if the purple/white wire wasn't hooked up, i wouldn't get 1st or OD.

http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/vv44/Low_Orange/?action=view&current=MOV01285.flv

as you can see in the video, my Speedo, Coolant temp and all other gauges work like factory (My Oil PSI gauge isn't working cause my Oil Sender is gone, Replaced with an Autometer unit)

So now that your 4L60E is working, lets carry onto Fuel.

Fuel:

I sent up my fuel system a little different then Mykk, Here is what i used.

-Stock TBI In-tank Pump
-Holley 12-803BP ByPass Regulator (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803BP/)
-Marshall 0-15PSI Gauge, (Not shown)

It is VERY Important that if you are keeping the stock pump, you HAVE to have a return, i dont care what anyone else says, just capping off the return is gonna kill the pump, THE RETURN IS THERE TO COOL THE PUMP!.

Picture of my setup.

Those are the stock TBI Fuel Lines, i just bent them a bit and cut off the fittings and installed some new ones.

I then ran a hose barb out the left side to the carb, shown here.

at first it ran great, but i still wanted to check my PSI, so i added a gauge. using some fittings we had laying around, i dont have any pictures of it, sorry.

I found that my demon likes 6.5-7PSI. and the Holley Regulator is factory set at 5PSI.

After this, the engine ran very well, i would recommend this swap to anyone wanting a bit more out of their engine.

-Josh

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
little update, i just dropped in a new engine, and bought a Holley Street Avenger 670 and added the holley TPS kit for electric choke, VERY nice kit!

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen this thread posted on several different forums & I'm gonna post on all of them so that I can get as much information as I can.
I have a 94 Chevrolet truck. I built a 383 with vortec heads, roller cam, headers w/true duals, super victor intake, & a 454 throttle body. I have a mail order chip & we are on number 20, still has a bad hesitation on accel, rough idle, ect ect ect..... So I decided to go with the FAST EFI system. The problem is that it will not controll my trans & I do not have the funds to spend another $850.00 for the FAST transmission controller. My questions are this.....

1) Can I use the tps signal from the FAST system to trigger my pcm?
2) Can I use the ect sensor from the FAST system to trigger my pcm?
3) If so do I just splice the signal return wires together for these two sensors?
4) Will my factory tach still work?
5) If not what will I have to make the factory tack work properly?

I'm sure more questions will come later, but for now that is all. Any help will be greatly apprecated? I would like to see alot of discussion so that we can all learn from it.

Markv

Reaction score
I have been fighting my vortec head TBI for a year, after 5 chips I said enough with this crap, I'm glad I found this post, it helped me to no end! I have a basic set up, heads, stock roller cam, gmpp roller rockers, and edelbrock carb, and intake. I just rigged up a TPS to the carb, and after some adjusting the trans shifts just fine, I have my timing set at 10 deg. Static, 34 deg. Total, I have my vacuum advance limit at 10 deg. I use manifold vacuum, giving me 20 deg. At idle. I have a regular fuel pressure regulator, but I have sent off for the by pass one because I can't get anymore than 3 to 4 psi at the carb.
Thanks to the guys that helped me with there posts on this swap!
Mark

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna make the plunge & buy a aftermarket fuel injection system. I'm gonna wire my stock pcm to the tps signal return, vss, & tach signal from my ignition box. Man I hope like hell my trans will shift properly after I do this. If it doesn't work its gonna be hard to explain to the wife why I need an extra $850.00