how should i clean out this sludge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
if your gonna do all that work to clean it up, I would pull the Oil Pan too.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thayer are talking about dumping diesel fuel in the area you just cleaned with your oil drain plug out and letting it flush as much crap out as possible

sent from your moms house

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I usually run a quart of tranny fluid to get that kind of gunk out. Its mostly detergent

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I usually try to not touch any of that sludge unless its necessary (in your case, it was necessary). 1 qt of trans fluid in your oil and several consecutive oil changes (1000 miles or so apart) should clean up any pieces you miss. The problem with cleaning it is that any chunks that you miss will end up on the oil pump pickup, and can cause oil starvation issues.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Little" jobs always seem to grow... you know if you took it to a shop they would have replaced the gasket and buttoned it back up with all that junk inside.

I've seen worse, but I'd be doing the same as you trying to make it right. BTW, I think Seafoam is mostly Kerosene, so if you're going to need a couple quarts, that might save you some dough. Also, you may want to change the oil filter a couple of extra times.

mpyusko

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots and lots of Kerosene, a couple sizes of brass brushes, and then some brake parts cleaner to finish it all off.

Sent from my DROID Maxx using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I had a tbi motor that was slightly worse than that. I scraped out most of it and when i put it back together i ran sone of that liquid they sell at the parts house that claims to remove engine sludge. Got it up to full temp for about 15 mins just idling. The. Changed the oil 3 times. Motor didnt miss a beat for the remainder 80k i had it. Still ran when i sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible this engine thermostat is hotter than 180 degrees? That oil looks cooked...

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats actually from it being cooler that 180... thats what happens when oil vapor condenses on the cooler parts of the engine internals...