How reliable can I expect a 99 Suburban K1500 to be? What can I expect if I want a daily driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteUCF

Reaction score
Expect some steering parts failures (pump, gearbox) later in it's life. Otherwise, like everyone else already stated, just maintain it and drive it. They're also getting to the point, like it was mentioned before, where they're becoming more popular. Even if you have to fix rust and repaint in the future, it'll be worth it to save one. They're future classics and if you can maintain and fix any issues, it'll repay you when you sell it in 15 years for top dollar on bring a trailer. It's a win win. Cheap parts, easy to fix, and might put a kid through college one day.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a mechanic but I’m dumb and confident enough to at least try to fix most issues. Especially with a Haynes manual.

Get the OEM service manual in .pdf form via download. The 1998 version (likely very similar to your 1999) is on the GMT400 site at https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/.

I already have a new tank, fuel pump, and filter ready to go in, I’m redoing all the brakes, new rear shocks.

My K1500 1998 Suburban has been in the family since late 1998, bought used with 30kmi on it then. I got it from Dad in 2008 w/ 167kmi on the odo and a transmission that was iffy. I've got around 265kmi on it now. It's seen very little road salt its entire life.

Not long ago, and well after 200kmi, I did a compression test and the L31 blew a consistent ~180psi on all eight. I was impressed.

Below I'm just stating what's been done to it that was required due to failure, from memory:

- Leaking intake gasket(s), replaced around 220kmi

- Leaking radiator (slow leak, side tank), replaced around 240kmi

- rear AC lines (replaced 2x since 1998)

- various idler pulley bearings over time, due to noise

- fuel gauge flutters as many do; fixed with an ECU "tune"

- fuel pump failure / replace (around 160kmi)

- belts / hoses replaced when opportunity strikes (e.g., when I replaced the radiator, I replaced the hoses too)

- rear heater lines, rubber sections were replaced due to concern for their age around 2017 (see this thread for my and other's solutions https://www.gmt400.com/threads/95-suburban-rear-heater-hose-questions.53581/)

- rear barn doors tend to leak; keep an eye on this or you'll have a smelly, messy interior (the problems and solutions are discussed on the forum)

- 4L60E replaced at 50kmi and 180kmi by dealer with GM remans

- Rear wheel bearing / axle, RH side @ ~240kmi

- Front wheel bearing, LH side, only because ABS signal was poor (but I replaced both LH and RH) @ ~260kmi

- rear brake line had evidence of leak, replaced @ ~240kmi

- AC compressor developed a belly leak, replaced ~220kmi

- routine maintenance items I haven't mentioned, e.g., plugs, wires, oil, filter, trans oil, diff oil, T-case oil, calipers, brake frictions,... and some items I replaced just to do it, e.g., fuel spider, SS brake hoses, etc.

Last edited:

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased my 99 Burb ( at 122k) to use as an RV. It's worked out great. In addition to keeping up with the maintenance I fix, or have fixed, anything that is wrong.
It's not one thing that will ruin your trip. It's cumulative.
Pilots call it the failure chain. I won't tell you it can't be a little aggravating. My Burb is way more needy than 97 and 98 k2500 put together. But, I still love it. Parts are readily available, cheap, and there is a YouTube for everything.

I agree with the posts regarding rust. I drive north every fall to get a Krown rustproofing treatment.

I also have a tailgate. We've had some great picnics on it while enjoying some wonderful scenery.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 4