How is ‘95 K1500 rear sliding glass attached?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the many repairs necessary is to reattach my stock sliding rear window frame. It’s only attached at the bottom. You can pull the top out a few inches. It LOOKS LIKE it’s supposed to attach with adhesive. The top and sides of the body window frame have what looks like a very uniform layer of adhesive and the window frame is as smooth as can be with no evidence of residual adhesive.

Did GM possibly not prime these aluminum frames properly at the factory? Or is there another way this is supposed to attach??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of the many repairs necessary is to reattach my stock sliding rear window frame. It’s only attached at the bottom. You can pull the top out a few inches. It LOOKS LIKE it’s supposed to attach with adhesive. The top and sides of the body window frame have what looks like a very uniform layer of adhesive and the window frame is as smooth as can be with no evidence of residual adhesive.

Did GM possibly not prime these aluminum frames properly at the factory? Or is there another way this is supposed to attach??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom.
Kinda sounds like it has to come out and be redone. By time you go get window urethane About $20 a tube, maybe 2), a bottle of pinchweld primer(about $30) etc it's cheaper to have a glass shop do it. If you've never done windshield or fixed glass R&I let a pro do it. What will take you all day will take them 30-45 minutes given there's no rust/peeling paint in the window channel.

Last edited:

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like it has to come out and be redone. By time you go get window urethane About $20 a tube, maybe 2), a bottle of pinchweld primer(about $30) etc it's cheaper to have a glass shop do it. If you've never done windshield or fixed glass R&I let a pro do it. What will take you all day will take them 30-45 minutes given there's no rust/peeling paint in the window channel.
Thank you. Weird that there’s absolutely no evidence on the aluminum frame that it’s ever had any adhesive on it. Looks like I’ll call a glass guy for this one.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. Weird that there’s absolutely no evidence on the aluminum frame that it’s ever had any adhesive on it. Looks like I’ll call a glass guy for this one.
Sounds like frame separated from urethane and took paint/powdercoat with it?? I worked in a body shop and glass guy would come in R&I a glass 75-80 bucks. Not worth hunting the stuff to do it for that. Normally it's the small guys doing bodyshops not the national chains like safelight, Go Glass etc. One of those situations where cash works.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See service manual section window replacement?
Looked at that and it showed adhesive. But I couldn’t find anything specific to the sliding window frame. Manual just showed a solid glass window. Figured I’d ask here in case there was something I wasn’t seeing.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which tells you it is not separate pieces, it is one piece, one part number. Therefore replace unit or brainstorm a repair.