How does this happen?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ive Purchased salvage title vehicles, but none were the odometer and title were off 99k - without being rolled over.

This auction is a whole fleet of vehicles with a large discrepancy.
Don't know how it works in other states but I've seen many vehicles with low mileage marked on the title as "exempt" - it almost seems automatic in Texas when you transfer title of an older vehicle with low mileage that would seem unlikely in most scenarios.

I will agree a good amount of skepticism is absolutely necessary when buying a used vehicle, especially at an auction where you may not have supporting documentation or access to the seller to at least attempt to judge their character/probability of honesty, but you see here a whole collection of vehicles. If you're planning to bid, you can expect the prices will be high due to the mileage claims, one would be wise to inspect the vehicles in person before placing a serious bid. Up close it will be trivial to determine if the mileage claims are accurate or not.

Richard

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know how it works in other states but I've seen many vehicles with low mileage marked on the title as "exempt" - it almost seems automatic in Texas when you transfer title of an older vehicle with low mileage that would seem unlikely in most scenarios.

I will agree a good amount of skepticism is absolutely necessary when buying a used vehicle, especially at an auction where you may not have supporting documentation or access to the seller to at least attempt to judge their character/probability of honesty, but you see here a whole collection of vehicles. If you're planning to bid, you can expect the prices will be high due to the mileage claims, one would be wise to inspect the vehicles in person before placing a serious bid. Up close it will be trivial to determine if the mileage claims are accurate or not.

Richard
Thanks for the advice. Not interested in bidding. Just found it rather fascinating to see TWO 1999 Suburban’s with less than 1,000 miles, in addition to the other time capsules in this sale.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those Suburbans are amazingly clean. If I were in the market...

The pics look legit to me. IMO it's difficult to get the nooks and crannies of a firewall that clean after they've got filthy, without leaving some trace of pressure washing, degreasing, etc. Note the factory finishes on the hydroboost accumulators, the clean white plastic of the coolant reservoir tanks, how nice the driver door latches look, etc. I'd bet if you pull back those seat covers you'll find barely-wrinkled factory leather. The replacement leather covers are usually just slightly different enough from original that you can tell a shade or grain difference (they often appear much smoother than OEM.)

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's rare, but there are , out in the wild blue yonder, some pots o gold. An '87 Grand National, all the paperwork , and plastic still on it. In a conex box. 7 miles. The old man died , his kids and wife didn't even know about it. It happens.