How do you fund your truck project?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy L

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have found over the years I have had to get creative to fund my projects. Taking hundreds and sometimes thousands of $ out of the "family" checking account caused some "issues". While I still do some of that, I try to fund the more expensive projects by buying something and either parting it out or fixing it up and selling... for example:
You must be registered for see images attach

and
You must be registered for see images attach

both of these Tahoe's were bought pretty cheap. Both ran and drove. The silver '02 was robbed of its 5.3/4l60e/wiring harness/pcm/radiator/fans/driveshaft and some odds and ends pieces then parted out to recoup all but $183. The black '01 is a bit too nice to part out. Still has cold a/c. But didn't take much to make it roadworthy and if it won't sell quickly, it can be parted out as well.

So, how is everyone funding their projects? How creative have you had to get? Anyone trading time or talents for parts? Help me with ideas.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm confused. You parted that wrecked Tahoe and ended up still $183 in the hole on it? Maybe I misunderstood your wording.

Richard

Andy L

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of space. I paid $1000 for it. I pulled what I wanted (5.3/4l60e/wiring harness/pcm/radiator/fans/driveshaft) and spent 2 weeks and a few ads on Craigslist selling off parts I didn't need or want. A guy wanted the tires/wheels and rear end and I could not sell them and have a truck I could not move around. So, we made a deal and sold off the rolling carcass. I recouped all but $183 of it at that point. I had spotted the black tahoe and needed room for it.

So, I had $183 in the 5.3/4l60e/wiring harness/pcm/radiator/fans/driveshaft and various other small stuff I pulled off it....passenger side air bag, door locks, headlights, cargo area tie downs, exhaust y pipe and extension to the muffler, fuses, relays, floor mats, pcm bracket, etc.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Crowdfunding is my go to, I always make sure I talk about how sentimental my truck is. ;)

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the title to this thread, lol!

OT at work funds most of my hobbies.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tax returns... side mechanic jobs... also... just budgeting mostly.

I wish I could find more sidework... but I left my job at a college and went to a mining company. The college had a LOT more opportunities with students, faculty, staff, etc... I ran the IT help desk... so I was able to mingle with a lot of folks on a regular basis. Now, I make more money with a higher level admin position, but I sit in a cube and talk to NO ONE allll day...

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do side jobs, handy work, mechanic work, IT work, anything that comes my way that I know how to do.