How do I positively and easily Identify my engine size and vehicle trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoutlaw

Reaction score
As far as going by numbers I'd say check the block or the 8th digit of the vin on your dash. The fan shroud could've been swapped by the previous as well as the glove box. The engine casting number and your VIN are the only 2 I'd trust. You can also double check the VIN on you stickers to make sure they match. In which case they are accurate as to what is supposed to be under your hood.

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central VA, DC Metro, NOVA (can they make up their
Good to know, thanks. Talking about basic stuff like brake cylinders for now. What does the 1/2 ton mean BTW.

Autozone is pretty cool. I always try to shop around but in this case it worked out okay. Rebuilt alternators ehhhh I have had some problems with from there.

if you are talking about heavy duty suspension then maybe it's related to idler arm ???? because from autozone or kragen, they ask this, but on my 454SS no problem ... both will fit...
I think you have a 1/2 ton C1500 for 2WD, with 5.0L, then it's a 305CU.....
try from autozone website, their site is great for parts...

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, checked off the title. Gotta clean the windshield to verify. Plenty of dirt there lol.

As far as going by numbers I'd say check the block or the 8th digit of the vin on your dash. The fan shroud could've been swapped by the previous as well as the glove box. The engine casting number and your VIN are the only 2 I'd trust. You can also double check the VIN on you stickers to make sure they match. In which case they are accurate as to what is supposed to be under your hood.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
With the 2wd, the only difference I know of when it comes to the front end, is the hub assemblies are 2 different sizes, whether the rotors are different I can't confirm, but I know the HD spindle is larger in diameter as is the hub's inside diameter. More than likely, the HD possibly came with a pre-runner kit, it makes sense because they would probably have a bunch of external accessories on the front for use in industrial applications....just an idea though.

Also, not 100% on the tbi blocks, but the previous engines were similar to the vortec when it came to placement of engine badging. My memory isn't serving me well at the moment so i can't remember if it was driver/passenger side, but the code behind the head read "GM 5.0l" on the original engine in my Caballero.

Last edited:

ukiltmybrutha

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks MOBS, well it turns out that I am getting different part numbers for HD 2wd rear brake wheel cylinders. The 1 1/8 is supposed to be non heavy duty and the 1 3/16 is supposed to be HD.

If anyone is bored, please check out the below Autozone link. In this case, looks like the HD cylinders are cheaper. Guess I can always size it out at the auto part store, but always like to weigh my options online before going anywhere.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...terByKeyWord=wheel+cylinder&fromString=search

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Well I don't know what truck you have, but on a small block chevy there is a code on the driver's side block right behind the head, and if it's a vortec 350 it will say 5.7 there, the older block's just have a number code that you will have to look up to see what it is.

actualley, all 86+ blocks say 5.0L, 5.7L ETC.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had a couple incuding my 95 that just had a multiple digit code on the block, but I am sure alot of them do say that.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I have had a couple incuding my 95 that just had a multiple digit code on the block, but I am sure alot of them do say that.

Odd, are you 100% sure its the factory block?, im not saying your wrong or anything, just has me interested.

I had a 1995 350, came factory out of my dads 1995 ECSB, had 5.7 on it.
My 1994 350 had 5.7 stamped on it
my 1988 350 has 5.7 on it.

I did have a parts engine that only had code on it, turned out to be a Replacement engine, also it had no bosses for roller cam.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only one I am sure about is my 95 it had 34 k miles and was 1 year old when I bought it and it didn't say 5.7, but the other's could have been changed, you never know what people do.