How can I switch the 1988 quad sealed beam headlights to composite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam rogers

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado 1500. I have the quad sealed beam headlights in it right now. However I had bought the composite new style headlights 1990-98. Is there a connection that I can buy to be able to connect so I can run the new style headlights with a led bulb?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The composite assemblies bolt in place of the quads. The only difference is the harness connections, which you'll have to chop off, and attach the new style which you can get brand new pigtails at the auto parts store, or old ones from the boneyard. Recommend new. Also suggest you solder the wires and cover the joints with heat shrink tubing.

If you can find a 90-94 in the boneyard you can pull the whole front lamp harness and separate it from the block at the firewall; it's a little bit tricky but not actually difficult.

Richard

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The composite assemblies bolt in place of the quads. The only difference is the harness connections, which you'll have to chop off, and attach the new style which you can get brand new pigtails at the auto parts store, or old ones from the boneyard. Recommend new. Also suggest you solder the wires and cover the joints with heat shrink tubing.

If you can find a 90-94 in the boneyard you can pull the whole front lamp harness and separate it from the block at the firewall; it's a little bit tricky but not actually difficult.

Richard
Technically you don’t have to cut the pigtails. You can remove the pins from the old pigtail and they fit right into the 9005/9006 pigtails. However, often times the low beam hot lead is melted to the plug on the sealed beam setup. Just passing it along.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You sure they're the same pins? I haven't tried doing it but I'm fairly sure the sealed beam pins are considerably different. Don't have any to look at right now and haven't had any for about 10 years, so...memory could be fuzzy. ;)

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You sure they're the same pins? I haven't tried doing it but I'm fairly sure the sealed beam pins are considerably different. Don't have any to look at right now and haven't had any for about 10 years, so...memory could be fuzzy. ;)

Richard

You are correct Richard. The terminals are different.