How Can I Make My Steering Box One Finger Friendly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can change the feel of the steering through the alignment, via the caster. Lots of caster makes for a truck that comes back to center with very little effort, & stay there, but increases the effort to turn off of center. Less caster makes for easier steering effort, but the truck can become twitchy & will like to wander, especially when too little caster is put into the alignment. Good alignment shops will set it the way that you want, but if you don't specify, they will set it at that happy medium.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
edit: ^ you beat me to it haha..

#5 in the diagram posted above is a provision for adjusting a steering box. Perhaps Lares has it overtightened? Might be worth looking into the procedure on how to adjust it... I've heard of lots of people cranking that adjuster right down tight, and selling a worn out box as "good" or even "rebuilt"..

If that adjuster is set too tight, he steering wheel will require effort to return to center. It WILL NOT come back by itself. Way too tight can be very dangerous!!!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Th e"bolt" mentioned above is to set preload/backlash on the steering gear internal to the box itself.

As mentioned, it effects "on center" feel.

All kidding aside, it shouldn't be messed with by those who don't know what they are doing. You can end up with odd steering characteristics or premature failure of the worm gear assembly, much like a differential gear would die a painful death with messed up backlash....

Oh, by the way; my 98 is a 65 TD and is also one finger steer if you wanted to do it that way.

I just keep my front end tight and well greased. The box has 430,000 kms on it and works fine.

I only mention it for reference with your tight steering issue...

Cheers

Last edited:

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else have a Beavis and Butthead moment when reading this thread title.

Hey Beavis,
he said box and finger friendly :peace: :head3:

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
That allen stud moves the sector shaft up or down, and it needs to be set w an inch lb torque wrench, which presumably they do as a last step. I will try loosen it a bit, just to see. I've tinkerd w that stud on many occasion in years past. I took my '93 K2500 Silverado for a photo shoot this aft, and do some donuts...

Attachments

• CIMG0159 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0159 (Small).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG0162 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0162 (Small).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 28
  • CIMG0189 (Small).JPG
    CIMG0189 (Small).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 25

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
The only thing that really goes wrong w the box is the lower sector shaft wears due to lack of (fresh) oil. Lares claims to have a special undersize bushing to take up the slack. Even w their new bushing, the wheel still has some free play. Twisting the upper steering shaft and looking for movement where the pitman arm exits the box, so no worn steering parts involved, And I checked the rag joint carefully. (They offer a new one for $30, I think).

[QUOTE

I just keep my front end tight and well greased. The box has 430,000 kms on it and works fine.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

BoominSVX

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the relevance here, but info is info so I'll throw it out. I have a 99 Escalade that was always "1 finger friendly". One day my bro came home and went up one side of the back hill, and I went up the other (more difficult and much tighter) side. I managed to get some torque steer going by a tree when the 4x4 caught a root and right up the tree my I went. I blew the seal out of the steering box and did a tune on my alignment. The tire tread was forever imprinted on the inner fender from my 20's. Long story short, I took a fresh steering box that was bought for a 95 tahoe (I believe it was later found to be a different part number) and bolted it in. The steering on that truck sucks now.... like... trans-am sucks. I may have popped a valve in the PS pump, but nothing seems any different. The only side effect was the hard steering. Everything bolted in the same and there was no noticeable difference between the bodies of the two. If they are different part numbers, it might be something to look into.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head BoominSVX!!!
One day I'll find the time to dismantle a good 'ol GM Saginaw steering gear box. It's not that hard, just I hv too many toys. What you discovered was the exact difference I'm complaining about on my '95 Sub. As I mentioned in an earlier posting was all GM boxes from '64 on the Malibu and '65 on the full size ARE THE SAME!!! The difference is only in the way they bolt on. GM did have a lighter duty box in the late 70's, it has a large C Clip on top vs 4 bolts. They're interchangeable if the bolt attachment is the same, but otherwise they're basically a disposable unit, much like alot of stuff lightened up to improve fuel mileage.
Anyhow, what makes one box 1 finger friendly, and another virtually identical Trans Am armstrong? The little torsion spring. I guess it controls how much oil is allowed to assist the driver.
When I find some time, I'll call Lares again, and see if I can get some more insite.
And the caster issue mentioned a few post back is correct. My dad bot a 1980 Cadillac Coupe de Ville new, and the caster was at its lowest setting as the front wheels wouldn't even return to center after a turn without help of 1 finger. This is NOT the issue with the '95 Sub, and my '84 K5 Blazer whips the wheel back to center just fine, all with 1 touch PS.

Last edited: