Hobie's Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alrighty, I wasnt wanting to start this thread up before I got some engine work done, but as I'm about to get a new phone, and my harddrive failed, I might as well go ahead and document some information, and pictures while I can.

This truck will be my long term project, I bought the truck in March of 2020, for $800, and fortunately for me, it is exactly what I want, a 3 door ECSB, 4x4, Z71, with damn near all the options, it was a one owner truck before being sent off to auction, and bought by a dealer whom I bought it from the dealer. The issues of it, is a rod bearing was spun when I bought it, supposedly 3rd/4th gear are gone, and it has some electrical issues, so all of those things will be addressed first, before the fun stuff really begins

Here are some pictures of the day I bought it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I will still be surprised that the only spec of rust on the truck, is a slot about 2" long right under the 3rd door. But everything else is straight!

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So unfortunately I havent been able to do as much as I wouldve hopped, Covid has effected my pay as a mechanic rather negatively, but progress is being made slowly, been gathering parts mostly for now, I do have an engine block, and a set of vortec heads at the machine shop being bored .030, and the heads worked over to accommodate .550" lift cam, snagged a SCAT high performance Cast crank, along with some summit I beam 6" rods with .030 overbore summit 4 valve relief coated pistons

Of course I had to open it up and look at it before oiling it up again, and packing it to the machine shop.

Also found a 07' silverado being parted out, so of course I had to snag the electric fans, as well as the center console, although the console looks to be out of a surburban or a tahoe, but itll still work for what I want them for. Ended up mocking up the console today, just to see how it fits, and what modifications I need to make

As you can see, it's not a horrible fit. But there will be lots of modifications to make it right! But it will work nicely when I'm finished.

Even had a good friend of mine in the detail shop buff out the paint, and for factory paint/bodywork. I'm very impressed how well its holding up!

But, now it's time to reveal the actual plan for the powertrain,

I started with just a plane jane intake manifold from a 88 firebird, wasnt anything special, the aluminum was corroded, the runners were beat up, so I done what I could, sandblasted it all. Got most of the junk out of the runners, and cleaned up the casting on the inside of the plenum, but got tired of seeing bare aluminum everywhere, coat of high temp black, just to set off the sea of silver. Found a set of gen 2 SLP runners, which just arrived but already lost the pictures, but will post more about the top end once I get the vortec to TPI intake here. 32lb injectors are in my shopping cart along with a 411 PCM swap from Lextech.

But, this will be a slow moving thread, at least until I get it running and driving, but hopefully I'll be going before Christmas, but I'm completely prepared to delay until I can get it done correctly.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you do the 411 swap, that'll make swapping to the 4l80e easier. ;)
4l80e was the original plan, but I just want to get it on the road for now, I'll gather everything needed for a 4l80 while driving it, but ill work some magic on this 4l60 to get it down the road. Do my normal updates, along with some accumulator work, valvebody work, and internal parts, and it should last a good little while.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang, that truck is indeed outfitted just right........

Nice snag.
It really is, and since I've always wanted to do a TPI, with internal work swap onto one, this was too perfect. I couldnt pass it up!

That would be the perfect truck to swap my parts into when the time comes.
Now you have me curious... what are your plans?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score

My truck is very rusty, probably beyond repair. The frame is ok but the body is terrible. I want to find a clean truck from a non salt state and swap all of my good parts into it. Then it will never be driven in road salt again. A 3 door extended cab would be great. I would like a 2500. Maybe in a couple years I will be able to afford to look.