HID Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well I have a burned out headlight so it's time for HID's. Read the entire thread and great info. Looking at DDM kit or HIDGate kit. Couple questions: DDM - Bulb Type 9006 correct? and do I need a 'HID harness' or an error code eliminator for my 1998 sierra with DRL delete? And from HIDGate are these guys reputable? I've been conned on EBay sellers before and am pretty cautious now.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I have a burned out headlight so it's time for HID's. Read the entire thread and great info. Looking at DDM kit or HIDGate kit. Couple questions: DDM - Bulb Type 9006 correct?

It doesn't matter who you order from. Your lowbeams require a 9006 bulb.

and do I need a 'HID harness' or an error code eliminator for my 1998 sierra with DRL delete?

You don't need an error code eliminator because our trucks don't get error codes. My experience has shown me that the early GMT-400 trucks ('88-'94 or maybe '95) don't need a relay harness, while the later trucks do. I installed HIDs on a '91 and '94 with no issues. I installed them on a '97 and '98 and both needed the relay harness. Other late GMT-400 owners have claimed to be fine without the harness. So, it's up to you. When you figure shipping costs, it'll be cheaper to go ahead and order the harness when you order your HID kit than if you find out later you need it and order it separately.

And from HIDGate are these guys reputable? I've been conned on EBay sellers before and am pretty cautious now.

Yes, they're reputable. I've ordered from them twice myself.

Reaction score
Well I called and ordered from HIDGate today. The service was good and 42 bucks for 6K with harnesses. Price is good and they should be here by Saturday. Thanks again 1BadGmc.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So does my '91 silverado also require a 9006 bulb, it's not the W/T edition but the regular silveradio grill. I just ended up using the permatex headlight repair kit I got at autozone to clean up the severely yellowed headlight housings and now I wanna go hid to get the most visibility. Right now I'm looking at the ddm hid kit slim ballast 35w 4500k? Is this a good choice? Or should I go with something else? I'm clueless when it comes to HID lighting.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So does my '91 silverado also require a 9006 bulb, it's not the W/T edition but the regular silveradio grill. I just ended up using the permatex headlight repair kit I got at autozone to clean up the severely yellowed headlight housings and now I wanna go hid to get the most visibility.

For lowbeams, yes.

Right now I'm looking at the ddm hid kit slim ballast 35w 4500k? Is this a good choice? Or should I go with something else? I'm clueless when it comes to HID lighting.

Don't spend the extra for the slims. They are functionally identical to the standard ballasts. They're just smaller to fit better in cramped engine bays. Your fullsize truck has no space issues, so save a few bucks and go with standard ballasts.

But for color and wattage, great choice.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok cool I'm gonna order them as soon as I get paid next week. Hopefully it's a pretty straightforward install. I'm assuming i've gotta pull the grill and all that good stuff.