HID Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Need some help guys. I went and try to install my ddm hid kit tonight and couldn't get it to work. I bought the relay kit and hooked it up to my ballasts and my hids won't come on. I'm pretty sure I've got it wired correctly. I have the stock headlight connector plugged into the relay and then the relay plugs into the ballast. Now I've heard you have to flip one of the plugs around on these chevy's. Is it the stock headlight connector that goes into the relay or is it the plug that goes from the relay into the ballast? Or do I flip them both around? Thanks for the help guys

Its the plug that plugs into the stock plug.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need some help guys. I went and try to install my ddm hid kit tonight and couldn't get it to work. I bought the relay kit and hooked it up to my ballasts and my hids won't come on. I'm pretty sure I've got it wired correctly. I have the stock headlight connector plugged into the relay and then the relay plugs into the ballast. Now I've heard you have to flip one of the plugs around on these chevy's. Is it the stock headlight connector that goes into the relay or is it the plug that goes from the relay into the ballast? Or do I flip them both around? Thanks for the help guys

Flip the plug from your stock harness to the ballast. It really doesn't matter which one, but that's just the easy one.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I flipped around the stock 9006 connector that went into the relay and my hid's now work. Question though, when I turn them on they seem to flicker for a second and then get bright. Also when I have my headlights on now my rear tail lights won't light up and my blinkers don't blink but stay light solid. I don't understand what I did wrong, it's not like wiring these up is complicated at all :think::think::think: Any ideas?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question though, when I turn them on they seem to flicker for a second and then get bright.

HIDs don't just turn on instantly. They have a warm-up period. They pop on and then slowly get brighter.

Also when I have my headlights on now my rear tail lights won't light up and my blinkers don't blink but stay light solid. I don't understand what I did wrong, it's not like wiring these up is complicated at all :think::think::think: Any ideas?

No clues here.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it may have something to do with the ground wire that grounds to the frame. I was having trouble with it when I put the bed back on a few weeks ago. I just was wondering if someone else had a similar experience

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Alright, I wasn't sure if I should put this here or the stupid questions thread, but I got a couple questions for you guys. First, I was looking at getting this -> http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W in a 35w, with 5000ks. I've got projectors for low beams, and then just reflective backed for high beams (I can post a close-up pic of my housings if you need me to).
I want to have HID's for both Highs/Low beams, so with this kit, would I need more bulbs?
Also, I'm looking at doing that relay so all 4 lights stay on when I switch to highs, I can do that with these, right? I would just need the relay?
It's a '95, so would I need that other relay or not? I saw you guys were talking about how some of the old ones were different from the newer ones.
Thanks for your help.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I wasn't sure if I should put this here or the stupid questions thread, but I got a couple questions for you guys. First, I was looking at getting this -> http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W in a 35w, with 5000ks. I've got projectors for low beams, and then just reflective backed for high beams (I can post a close-up pic of my housings if you need me to). I want to have HID's for both Highs/Low beams, so with this kit, would I need more bulbs?

I'd recommend 4500K, but that's not your question.

1 kit = 1 pair. So, if you want all 4 lights done, you'll need 2 kits.

Also, I'm looking at doing that relay so all 4 lights stay on when I switch to highs, I can do that with these, right? I would just need the relay?
It's a '95, so would I need that other relay or not? I saw you guys were talking about how some of the old ones were different from the newer ones.
Thanks for your help.

The hi-4 relay is not the same thing as the relay harness sold by DDM. The DDM relay harness draws the power for the HIDs directly from the battery instead of through the truck's wiring harness. It gives a direct and cleaner power supply for the ballasts. It's recommended, but many get away with not using one. This does NOT give you hi-4. For that you'll have to go somewhere else to buy your hi-4 relay.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Wow, thanks 1bad, you've been a lot of help with these. I got the housings I have currently due to breaking my stock ones, never really looked into HIDs before, that's why so many questions. :smile: Yeah, I've seen that you like your 4500k, but I'm thinking I'll try the 5000k first, and if I don't like it, then I'll just change bulbs when they go. Thanks for your help, clears things up a lot. I'll post pics up when I get it done. :High 5:

DDM tuning has dual in/dual out for the slim HIDs that I posted up earlier. Would that mean I could do all 4 lights with just 2 ballasts? And 9006 are the bulb types I need, right?

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, thanks 1bad, you've been a lot of help with these. I got the housings I have currently due to breaking my stock ones, never really looked into HIDs before, that's why so many questions. :smile: Yeah, I've seen that you like your 4500k, but I'm thinking I'll try the 5000k first, and if I don't like it, then I'll just change bulbs when they go. Thanks for your help, clears things up a lot. I'll post pics up when I get it done. :High 5:

5000K is OK. The first 2 sets of HIDs I bought were 5000K. Mostly because that's as white as the seller I bought from carried. They're in my CTS foglights and the lows on my '91. They are tons brighter and whiter than stock halogens, but the first HIDs I ever drove with were my CTS's OEM HIDs at 4300K. Compared to them, 5000K was just too blue. When it came time for some HIDs for my Suburban, I went with 4500K and am happy for it.

Another quick one....lol, sorry. Does bulb type matter?

Yes. The HID bulbs themselves are the same no matter what bulb type you order for, but the bases and plugs are keyed according to the bulb type you order. For your highs you'll need 9005 bulbs and for the lows whatever your projectors take (I know most aftermarket projectors don't use the stock 9006 lowbeam bulbs).

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
MY TURN! so im kinda night blind, its hereditary to say the least. i just put new bulbs in my truck last night, the sylvania ultra or whatever. tthe brightest bulb you can buy in a store and i cant even see still. so i wanna do hids. ive asked it before but it really wasnt explained good. whats the deal with the colors and number, basically can you break it down for me?