HID conversion kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HID conversions are illegal, any headlight color other than white (or kind of an off white with halogen) is also illegal. Amber for fog lights is the only exception I know of. If you think 10K is white you need to get your eyes checked asap...

If you want to see down the road better Truck-Lite makes an LED headlamp for the W/T front. I have them and really like them. They are quite proud of them though.

97 silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you buy all those kits from the same place? Not trying to be a dick here, someone's lying to you though. That color temperature scale is pretty standard. Also the color in those pictures actually looks really similar, just looks like the ones on the right are brighter.

Yea I know your not, but yes there from the same website. I wouldn't of believed it either If I hadn't been the one to order them! I thought the scale was pretty standard myself. But the website I ordered them from gave the option to pick the temp like 4k, 6k and so on. But it also gives you the option to order blue, green, pink, and purple to. That's why I consider it 10k white, while other consider 10k blue. If that makes any sense? I'm still pretty new when it comes to HID's so there may be something that's a little different in the two that I'm not catching or someone could be screwing me over good? Haha

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Fun fact: The only law I could find on the matter technically made "proper" projector retrofits illegal, but HIDs in original reflector housings legal.

From what I've seen, you're not going to get pulled unless they're blue/green/pink/red/etc.
If you do a lot of highway driving and have crappy housings or original cut lens housings that throw light everywhere, a state trooper MIGHT pull you just because they tend to be a little more **** about stuff like that. Wont be an issue as long as your housings provide a decent cut off though.

"10k" is a color temperature. It would technically be red. k is for Kelvin here, not thousand. 10,000k would be blue. Again, this is color temperature. If you order a different color (white, for example) then it will be a different color temperature.

Pure white (as in actually white and not just a name) is around 4300k. 5000k is a pale tealish color, 6000k gets into a darker teal/blue. I don't know why sellers use variants of white to refer to these, as they're not white.

I would never buy a $60 kit. The $30 kits have served me well and if I wanted to do it "right" I'd buy OEM stuff that $60 wouldn't get.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most laws are that anything changed from the original halogen bulb is illegal.

So hid in reflector, illegal
Projector retrofit, illegal
Pre made projector, illegal.

I know that's how it is in pa for inspection.

Now if you have a good projector and hid, I doubt you'd ever get pulled over since it looks just like every other new car sold today with hids.

If you have a hid bulb thrown in a reflector housing, the chances go up of you getting pulled over since everyone thinks your brights are on. And no matter how far you angle them down, they still glare like an sob.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Most laws are that anything changed from the original halogen bulb is illegal.
Here in NC, the only laws I could find stated that a housing must be able to accept the original bulbs. That would technically make even converting from a W/T front clip illegal. Ask how many people have ever been ticketed or fined for swapping between W/T and standard lights, or between sealed beam and composite.

the chances go up of you getting pulled over since everyone thinks your brights are on. And no matter how far you angle them down, they still glare like an sob.
No and no, as long as you have decent housings. The stock housings in my 97 F150 work truck with halogens in them throw light everywhere, with halogens. They glare, they have to with that much light and no cut off. The cheap aftermarket black housing reflector headlights in my Suburban with HIDs in them actually have a cut off. Above that cut off, the factory halogens in my work truck throw more light.

The lesson here is that it mostly depends on optics, though the blue light of higher color temperatures is harder on the eyes and produces a little more glare. You can avoid that by not buying 8000k+ bulbs.

A lot of people read things on forums from people that make assumptions without ever even working with what they're talking about. It leads to a lot of false info and blanket statements. The truth is that these blanket statements are false. Some will tell you that you can put them in any housing and it'll be fine. Some will tell you that no matter what, they'll always glare and blind people. Both are wrong. It depends on how you set it up and what you use.

Last edited: