hi mount brake light works, but not other 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kvltasfvck

Reaction score
hey all, ive got 95 eclb c2500, im really having trouble with the brake lights. hi mount works fine, always has. but the back i have never seen work. i have replaced pretty much everything in the line, brake switch, multifunction switch, relay, even the two rear lights them selves with new lenses and connector plates. I think i have found the issue, but i cant fix it. there is an orange wire coming out of the firewall, labeled "brake" that isnt connected to anything. ive tried connecting it to the fuse block and the brake ligth switch, but all that does is light up the hi mount (regaurldess of weather the pedal is pushed) now every thing else on the truck works fine, blinkers, tail lights, reverse lights, what have you, so im 99% sure the problem has somethign to do with this wire, but i have no idea where it could connect to. ive wasted so many hours of my life trying to figure this out, and the wiring diagrams in my haynes manual are absolutely worthless. can someone steer me in the right direction?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does that wire have power to it when you press the brake pedal? If so just run it to your rear brake lights. Sorry I can't be more specific, not totally familiar with wiring diagram and don't have a schematic in front of me.

kvltasfvck

Reaction score
Does that wire have power to it when you press the brake pedal? If so just run it to your rear brake lights. Sorry I can't be more specific, not totally familiar with wiring diagram and don't have a schematic in front of me.

just checked and yes it does get hot when the switch is pressed. so that means that this lose wire goes into the hazard/directional switch, i just cant figure out where :shrug:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be able to run it to the back and connect directly to your brake lights, before the split in the harness going to each light.

Or trace the harness forward from the split to where the hot wire was cut from.