Hey Guys I Need Help Quick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
May want to check the ground wires up from the terminals. Could be one was corroded up inside the insulation and disturbing it finished it off. Pull the grounds loose again and flex the wires. A the wire will feel limp where the conductor is broken. Now would be a good time to find the schematic for that truck so you can check your grounds point A to point B with a continuity tester.
A quick check for a sticking injector would be with a stethoscope or long screwdriver. While the engine is running touch it to the top of the injector and listen for the clicks. If the injector is not ticking and not spraying during prime you may have a shorted driver in the ECM.
The injector is not going to spray during the prime cycle. The injector will not pulse without an a dist ref signal ie: no rpm-no spray.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea where I would be able to find one of those scanners to get live data for obd1?
I don't currently have one and am unaware of what the choices might be. Last time I was studying live data on OBD1 it was with an OTC Genisys, and it was enough years ago that the current Genisys may not be OBD1 compatible.

I do see OTC has a # 3211 that is OBD1 and OBD2 with live data capability on both but it appears to be discontinued. I also found the Actron CP9690 which looks suspiciously like a direct knockoff/copy of the OTC. Don't see the OTC used anywhere but I've found a couple used and a new Actron. There will be other solutions that people will chime in with but suffice it to say OBD1 support is quickly fading into history.

Richard

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Easy enough to check for a worn timing chain.

1) Remove the distributor cap.
2) Rotate the engine by hand clockwise until the timing marks line up on 0.
You can cheat by turning the engine over with the alternator nut.
3) Mark where the rotor is pointing so you can see when it moves a TINY bit.
4) Rotate the engine counter-clockwise until the rotor JUST moves.
5) Read the timing marks. If the engine rotated more than a few degrees the chain is loose.
Under 5 degrees it'll be fine for awhile. More than that I would change it right away so it doesn't jump time and leave you stranded.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t see the fuel coming out of injector I can see it hitting the throttle plates and running down
So the fuel is invisible coming out of the injector--and therefore is maybe coming from somewhere else--but you can see fuel hitting the throttle plates?

That can't be good.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The injector is not going to spray during the prime cycle. The injector will not pulse without an a dist ref signal ie: no rpm-no spray.
Yeah,I kind'a screwed that up huh.
OK,let me try it again.
Engine running,no clicks but sprays,stuck injector or bad ECM.
Key on,engine off and in prime,injector sprays. Stuck injector or bad ECM.
Key on,engine off and in prime,injector sprays. Disconnect injector connector. Injector sprays,stuck injector. Injector doesn't spray,bad ECM.
The reason I mentioned it was because of an '86 Monte Carlo LS I had with a 262 TBI. When I turned the key on it went to spraying during prime. Turned out to be a shorted driver in the ECM. That was the day the gutless 262 went in the scrap iron pile and I dropped in a 355 and Q-jet.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the fuel is invisible coming out of the injector--and therefore is maybe coming from somewhere else--but you can see fuel hitting the throttle plates?

That can't be good.
Could be his lighting. Sometimes it's hard to see the fuel mist coming from the injectors but you can see it puddling on the plates.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
I don't currently have one and am unaware of what the choices might be. Last time I was studying live data on OBD1 it was with an OTC Genisys, and it was enough years ago that the current Genisys may not be OBD1 compatible.

I do see OTC has a # 3211 that is OBD1 and OBD2 with live data capability on both but it appears to be discontinued. I also found the Actron CP9690 which looks suspiciously like a direct knockoff/copy of the OTC. Don't see the OTC used anywhere but I've found a couple used and a new Actron. There will be other solutions that people will chime in with but suffice it to say OBD1 support is quickly fading into history.

Richard
I've been looking at the Innova scanners for OBD1 but don't recall if they are capable of reading live data. I think for OBD1 the best bet for live data is TunerPro RT.