HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
FO does make a point....I don't drive diesels to be cool, I drive them when I need the extra pulling power(although lately I've broken that rule because my DD is now a project in my shop....so the 6.5 gets alot more use). I've got mine tuned and setup like the older diesels....there are pro's and cons to that specific setup: Pro's are helluvahuge increase in hwy towing(45-degree incline with 3500lb trailer will hold at 70+mph without slowing or shifting down); dependability increased 10-fold. Con's are it lost ~6.5mpg hwy; it requires head temp to be +180F before driving(aka long warm-up periods)....along with some other stuff. Definitely needa add a passenger tank with crossover....

blackshirts

Reaction score
damn rant some more....i dont want a diesel to be a cool kid first off i hate gas engines, second i love diesel, third how where u worried a duramax was gonna blow sumthin out? fourth i wanna put my welding rig on my 350 since my 350 sucks ass for pulling a 32 foot gooseneck full of cattle THANK YOU just got off a 13 straight hour shift cowboying good night
btw i was just considering getting a 6.5l and rebuilding it bottom up cuz itd b unique and a cheaper truck to start off with ill probly end up getting a 05 dmax or some sort of cummins
the only reason i jumped all over this 1500 is cuz its a 98 its impossible to find 98 6.5ls dam near although itd be back at step one pulling trailers with a 1500 and i make more than 35k thats just on this job, i raise and sell cattle and farm.....hence the gooseneck

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Wasn't tryin to rant in order to peeve ya off, just sharing experience and info with ya about those engines. They're good engines so long as you fix GM's factory "detuning"....get them to their max potential and they're fine engines....if I were you, I'd look at getting a manual trans behind one if you're gonna be pulling a cattle trailer.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
damn rant some more....i dont want a diesel to be a cool kid first off i hate gas engines, second i love diesel, third how where u worried a duramax was gonna blow sumthin out? fourth i wanna put my welding rig on my 350 since my 350 sucks ass for pulling a 32 foot gooseneck full of cattle THANK YOU just got off a 13 straight hour shift cowboying good night
btw i was just considering getting a 6.5l and rebuilding it bottom up cuz itd b unique and a cheaper truck to start off with ill probly end up getting a 05 dmax or some sort of cummins
the only reason i jumped all over this 1500 is cuz its a 98 its impossible to find 98 6.5ls dam near although itd be back at step one pulling trailers with a 1500 and i make more than 35k thats just on this job, i raise and sell cattle and farm.....hence the gooseneck
you never mentioned pulling trailers or any of that before, tbh, with that kind of weight, get a Dmax.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
An older mechanical injected cummins will work also especially if you're not inclined to do ecm swaps and so forth.

blackshirts

Reaction score
ive been considering a 07 classic dmax, a 03-07 cummins or a 98 6.5l i guess im just gonna get w/e comes my way first some time bout when april comes around i talked to my chevy dealer yesterday bout a trade in on my 98 and they said theyd give me 5600-6000 lol i bought it from them for 6700 when i was 16 so when i ghet all my tax kick backs in april ill either trade in or just buy somthing idk what though

illinoisboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with the 2006 dmax, or the 03-07 cummins. Yes they are more expensive but they will last and take the load you are trying to pull.

blackshirts

Reaction score
06 and 07 classic are the aexact same other than the 07 classic has a updated selonoid or sumthing