help with build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen7891

Reaction score
I have a 91 gmc 1500 2wd single cab long box with a 305 currently the everything from the cab back is removed to clean and paint the chassis. I am not sinking a ton of money into this project but lots of time and effort. i am looking to build this in stages but i would like input as this is my first project so anything to help down the road if i decide to put more power or money into it. looking for a purely street build

stage one is the cab back i have removed the box dropping the gas tank removed all the mount that were riveted which were in really good condition but i wanted to clean and paint, leafs axle are off the truck basically only frame rails from the cab back. I went with a set of Monroe shocks for the rear because i wanted a soft ride but im not sure if my leafs are worn they look like there in good shape non were cracked or broken but the truck was really soft in the back.

first question: i want to remove the cross members one at a time to clean and paint properly but i have to grind the rivets and replace with grade 8 bolts and lock nut is it worth doing time and effort are not an issue strength and i fear the frame may shift i plan in bracing it when i remove them there are three i want to remove clean and paint.

Second: i am replacing the shocks leaf bushings but keeping the 4 leaf pack i did how ever dismantle cleaned and painted with new hardware but the leaf mount on the axle that is welded is rust out about a dine sized hole i only have a 120v mig welder gassless so i didnt want to replace the mount but but a small plate inside and weld from the outside not recommend but will this be safe enough i will attach pictures its of the full axek but if you look close you can see the small hole there is onle on the smale mount on the other side as well my welder is not strong enough i dont think to weld a new mount but i think strong enough to weld a plate inside and build up the outside.

Third: Gearing the truck accelerates like **** with the 305 i dont know the gear ratio the sticker is gone in the glove box i will be opening up the diff to change the seal and check the backlash but i assume the ratio is low what is this highest ratio i could go while still make it a good daily driver i only put mabey 5 to 10km a year on the truck. keep in my i might be swaping the motor for a 350 maybe 383 stroker but that will be the last step in this build i enjoy the reliability of the 305 its never let me down. not sure how strong the rear end is is a 10 bolt 5 lug axle not sure what kind of power it can handle if it would be worth swapping i only plan to get around the 400hp range if i do swap the motor.

Fourth: I am looking to go 295/50/15 in the rear and 245/60/15 in the front i like the stock height so i dont plan to lower or raise the truck the tires will drop the truck one in just from being a smaller tire height cant seam to find any picture of this set up if you have any that would be helpful.

thats all i can think of now and far as i am going at this point if there are any other things i should do while i have the rear dismantled let me know. I am also replacing the old brake line with ss tubing and debating on the fuel line but that might be swapped when i remove the cab and front. any help or suggestions would be welcomed thank in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: