Help! truck loses all power after hitting bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
So little back story, driving the other day drive over a railroad crossing the truck starts to stall and then dies. my needles on the gauges go nuts, and radio everything goes dark. so i'm coasting around a corner getting ready to pull over and everything goes back to normal. i'm then able to start the truck and drive home. pull into driveway and same thing happens again. this time when electrical power comes back but is dim. i'm able to start the truck but when i turn on the headlights or hold the brakes too long the truck dies. when i loose electrical power i can turn the engine over but it wont fire.

so where to start? checked battery connections, alternator, grounds on firewall, and rattled every wire i can reach and none are loose. is this a bad connection at the pcm? or just a bad pcm?

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Check battery terminals and grounds... They can really do some screwy things when they're not getting a good connection.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
grounds.

Firewall, frame, engine, dash.

:)

Make sure your batts are secure in the trays also.

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Check battery terminals and grounds... They can really do some screwy things when they're not getting a good connection.

Don't just check to see if they are tight. Take them apart, clean them well, and put back together. Computer controlled vehicles are very sensitive to voltage. A weak connection can be enough to send them into hysterics. It may not be the culprit, but it is the first thing you need to rule out.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
Well noticed my battery hold down is gone and a ground wire that comes straight off the negitive cable to fender had came loose. Going to buy new battery cable and secure the battery and continue from there.

GTAwheelman

Reaction score
yep that fixed it. now i feel dumb for even making a thread about it. i figured it was going to be something way more complex.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
yep that fixed it. now i feel dumb for even making a thread about it. i figured it was going to be something way more complex.

You BIG dummy!!! LOL jk man, it happens to us all bro. Always something, glad u got it fixed.