Help removing idler arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
just to get it to seat on the taper. Torque down proper after. Guess you recommend a wrench and the allen key

I don't have a lot of experience with air tools, but I've taken things apart after they've been assembled with air tools... like the bolt that holds my brake hose onto the knuckle that a mechanic ran in cross threaded. I'm not saying you would cross thread it, but it could very well end up overtight and you wouldn't know it. I didn't realize you intended to torque it afterwards..... I'd back it off first. I've used a standard (non-locking) nut to seat tapers before. Usually, I don't have much of an issue with new parts since they tend to be stiff enough to not spin.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it done. Old one looked old but felt good. Pissed me off.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with air tools, but I've taken things apart after they've been assembled with air tools... like the bolt that holds my brake hose onto the knuckle that a mechanic ran in cross threaded. I'm not saying you would cross thread it, but it could very well end up overtight and you wouldn't know it. I didn't realize you intended to torque it afterwards..... I'd back it off first. I've used a standard (non-locking) nut to seat tapers before. Usually, I don't have much of an issue with new parts since they tend to be stiff enough to not spin.

I have to disagree a little... there are times when air tools have their uses. I used to work on heavy equipment. No one wants to do that kind of work by hand for long. I use the every living poop out of my DeWalt 20v impact driver. I never use it to torque though... I always finish by hand. I just use it to spin nuts and bolts off and on. After doing it for years, you just get a feel for the trigger, I can't really explain it.

I think the problem is some people don't use tools like that in moderation and way over tighten stuff.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have to disagree a little... there are times when air tools have their uses. I used to work on heavy equipment. No one wants to do that kind of work by hand for long. I use the every living poop out of my DeWalt 20v impact driver. I never use it to torque though... I always finish by hand. I just use it to spin nuts and bolts off and on. After doing it for years, you just get a feel for the trigger, I can't really explain it.

I think the problem is some people don't use tools like that in moderation and way over tighten stuff.

What you described is not what I'd consider "blasted on with an impact" which is what I had initially responded to.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you described is not what I'd consider "blasted on with an impact" which is what I had initially responded to.

Sorry, I kind of went off into left field. I started thinking about other opinions I had read where people are like... anti impact or power tool. They prefer to do everything with wrenches and rocks. I kind of stopped my reply to you at "...air tools have their uses." The rest was just me rambling. Except for my last sentence, that was kind of back onto what you had said.

Anyway, I understand that you meant grabbing a half inch impact... cranking her up full blast and just hammering away like a mad man. Yah, nothing needs that treatment! I fully agree there! :cheers:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...They prefer to do everything with wrenches and rocks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I don't have air tools, but I really need them. I get so frustrated working on my truck sometimes because usually everything is visible, and I can even put my fingers on it... but I can't get a wrench on it, or if I can, there is no room to swing it! There have been times I've wanted to push the truck out into a field and set it on fire!