help me ID these parts please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I'll check my IAC to see what size it it.When you start it up after sitting overnight at what rpm is it?

You've put a lot of $ into this truck much like I did years ago.I know it's tough.

Did you use Delphi or ACDelco parts? Some aftermarket parts aren't very good.

Last edited:

HD_DUALLY

Reaction score
I'll check my IAC to see what size it it.When you start it up after sitting overnight at what rpm is it?

You've put a lot of $ into this truck much like I did years ago.I know it's tough.

Did you use Delphi or ACDelco parts? Some aftermarket parts aren't very good.

when i start it up it idles high and doesn't really seem to level off like my other tbi truck does. over 1000 RPM for the first 30 seconds or so then maybe it idles down just a few hundred RPM's, and when i put it in gear then it just tanks. it just never totally smoothes out the way i feel it should. ive had 3 TBI trucks and never had this kind of behavior before its so odd.

and i have put primarily BWD (Borg Warner) parts on this truck. they are the higher grade brand at my local parts store. i know ac Delco are even better and i have been debating on getting some but they are so much more $$.

grampadirt

Reaction score
when i start it up it idles high and doesn't really seem to level off like my other tbi truck does. over 1000 RPM for the first 30 seconds or so then maybe it idles down just a few hundred RPM's, and when i put it in gear then it just tanks. it just never totally smoothes out the way i feel it should. ive had 3 TBI trucks and never had this kind of behavior before its so odd.

and i have put primarily BWD (Borg Warner) parts on this truck. they are the higher grade brand at my local parts store. i know ac Delco are even better and i have been debating on getting some but they are so much more $$.
When I start my burb after sitting overnight it idles at 1350 because that's what the ecm wants to see,after a few minutes the idle will slowly go down and at 1100 I put in gear and go.If I let it sit and warm it up completely when the coolant temp hits approx. 135 the idle actuator activates and the idle drops to around 900.The IAC counts,desired idle speed,actual idle speed will all change as the temp goes up.I just wish there was some way you could monitor those IAC counts or voltage,either one.Watch that video I posted,you'll see it all working.

BTW,I tried to keep all sensors and electrical parts DELPHI or ACDELCO,BWD can be iffy sometimes.

HD_DUALLY

Reaction score
Any news?

not yet, too busy with family over the weekend. but I'm off work in a couple of hours and will mess with the truck all evening. going to do some adjusting and testing of the throttle kicker and possibly adjust the tps sensor by reaming out the mounting holes a little. did you get a chance to measure or check your IAC valve on your suburban?

funny thing, I'm hoping to get a suburban just like yours if it doesn't sell out from under me. its a 94 too so it will be a cousin to my dually, fingers crossed.

grampadirt

Reaction score
not yet, too busy with family over the weekend. but I'm off work in a couple of hours and will mess with the truck all evening. going to do some adjusting and testing of the throttle kicker and possibly adjust the tps sensor by reaming out the mounting holes a little. did you get a chance to measure or check your IAC valve on your suburban?

funny thing, I'm hoping to get a suburban just like yours if it doesn't sell out from under me. its a 94 too so it will be a cousin to my dually, fingers crossed.
Been working on my son's Ranger so I've been busy,sorry.The starter went out in wife's Burb...got the starter now I have to change it.I can go measure it now,be back in a few....

grampadirt

Reaction score
13.94mm at the skinny lip at the base of the pintle.

You must be registered for see images attach

and just for the hell of it.........

You must be registered for see images attach

HD_DUALLY

Reaction score
13.94mm at the skinny lip at the base of the pintle.

thanks for checking for me, well my morning update is disappointing. the throttle kicker seems to be working correctly and didn't effect my problem regardless of how i adjust it. i removed the tps and drilled out the mounting holes to allow for more adjustment and it didn't make any real difference either. so i moved on to the IAC, mine measures the exact same as yours, i had the parts store look up which one i bought and it was a bwd 21758 (10mm) so that makes no sense. i had them order both so i can look at them (the 12mm is bwd 21813). called the local Chevy dealer and they knew even less. the guy said he could get one, didn't know the size or what it looked like and it would be $160, so that's out.

i did find another article that suggests the 10mm is the thread in style like you mentioned, so the parts store may be completely wrong. i looked at my 89 4.3 blazer and it has the thread in style.

https://workshop-manuals.com/chevro...nic/component_information/diagrams/page_3903/

i can say that the problem is definitely temperature related as the problem i have completely stops once the engine is at operating temp, and it will do it when i turn on the AC and the engine gets a load on it. besides the coolant temp sensor what gives the computer temp readings?

long story short, i ended up advancing my timing a little bit and gave up for the night. i don't even trust the timing marks on this truck, it doesn't seem to idle right until its around +12 degrees or more on the flywheel.

crazy question here, i replaced the EMC but what about the PROM that you clip into the computer? what does it control and can it go bad. i know that's a long shot but ive just been wondering/

Last edited:

grampadirt

Reaction score
The ECM is a generic for all suburbans or trucks,etc.The PROM is for your suburban particularly.If you changed the ecm I hope you got one with the same part number,mine is 16197427,yours might be the same :shrug: but the PROM(mine is BMHM)is what must be kept with your vehicle.I hope I explained that correctly and hope it makes sense.

BTW,the PROM is what all the programmers modify when they talk about ''chipping'' a vehicle.I've always been afraid to try it because with my luck I'd make it so bad it might blow up lol.