Hello everybody.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new here.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

It looks like there are many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Last spring I bought a 1998 GMC K1500 Suburban.

This is my first truck and I love it. By doing all the repairs I've learned quite a bit.

Unfortunately it was in a really bad shape, I don’t think the previous owner had the word

preventative maintenance in his vocabulary.

I bought it as my hunting/camping rig, as I can just sleep in the back. No need for tent and can be very mobile. She is not pretty but works for what I need it for.

So far I’ve done the following:

- Replaced fuel injector spider whit the new improved one. (it was flooding the rear 4 cylinders, the engine was running like a wash machine whit a brick in it on spin cycle.)

- All the fluids, except transmission fluid,. (it looks like it was done recently)

- Rear wheel bearings and seals

- Master cylinder

- Rear brake cylinders (front are great, previous owner did it recently)

- 4 shocks

- Deleted the engine oil cooler/heater line. ( it was leaking and I just didn’t want to deal whit that. I wont be towing whit it anyways.)

- Replaced headlamps.

- O2 sensor.

- Rear U joint

- Replaced all the burnt out lights in the radio and dash.

- Fixed the wiper linkages.

- Cleaned the crap out of it. It was filthy...

- A bunch of other stuff that I already forgot about...

Things left to do:

- Need to replace exhaust gasket between cat converter and resonator.

- Need a new tailpipe.

- Replace door hinges and roll-pins.

- probably new rear brake shoes.

- Fix AC, one air conditioning pipe is leaking.

- Windshield (maybe)

- Find a good place to permanently attach CB radio antenna.

- who knows what else will come up.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from a 99 Burb owner in Houston, Texas area.
Currently raining hard here, a front coming in that will give us some Canadian weather tomorrow and the rest of the weekend. Was in the high 70s today, gonna be high 30s in the morning!

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new here.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

It looks like there are many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Last spring I bought a 1998 GMC K1500 Suburban.

This is my first truck and I love it. By doing all the repairs I've learned quite a bit.

Unfortunately it was in a really bad shape, I don’t think the previous owner had the word

preventative maintenance in his vocabulary.

I bought it as my hunting/camping rig, as I can just sleep in the back. No need for tent and can be very mobile. She is not pretty but works for what I need it for.

So far I’ve done the following:

- Replaced fuel injector spider whit the new improved one. (it was flooding the rear 4 cylinders, the engine was running like a wash machine whit a brick in it on spin cycle.)

- All the fluids, except transmission fluid,. (it looks like it was done recently)

- Rear wheel bearings and seals

- Master cylinder

- Rear brake cylinders (front are great, previous owner did it recently)

- 4 shocks

- Deleted the engine oil cooler/heater line. ( it was leaking and I just didn’t want to deal whit that. I wont be towing whit it anyways.)

- Replaced headlamps.

- O2 sensor.

- Rear U joint

- Replaced all the burnt out lights in the radio and dash.

- Fixed the wiper linkages.

- Cleaned the crap out of it. It was filthy...

- A bunch of other stuff that I already forgot about...

Things left to do:

- Need to replace exhaust gasket between cat converter and resonator.

- Need a new tailpipe.

- Replace door hinges and roll-pins.

- probably new rear brake shoes.

- Fix AC, one air conditioning pipe is leaking.

- Windshield (maybe)

- Find a good place to permanently attach CB radio antenna.

- who knows what else will come up.
Welcome I'm also new to this forum. Just recently purchased a 1996 Chevy K1500 with 4.3 vortect work truck. First thing i did was find this forum so I can learn as much as possible about the OBS Chevys The posts I have read so far have given me lots of ideas.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to GMT400 :)

You've done a lot and you've a lot to do. If you're like me you enjoy the process.

If you haven't replaced the hoses in the rear heater lines, consider adding that to your list. The topic was covered in detail here, keeping the hard lines and replacing the old hoses with new.

I see you've got the tailgate and not the barn doors on your '98. I've got the barn doors and I like them, but their weatherstripping requires attention because it often leads to leaks.

Last edited:

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice Burb, those the Escalade wheels? Aluminum wheels are much easier to get up and down from roof stowage!
Those wheel are quite a story...
The short version is that I needed to replace the tires it came whit and it had those large wheels whit slim rubber.

You must be registered for see images attach

It looked quite good but not really practical for the purpose I need it for. I bought a set of used rims and almost brand new tires for quite a good deal. Don't rememeber what truck it came off of.

Let me know if you want to hear the long story, i might type it up one day. :)

Welcome to GMT400 :)

You've done a lot and you've a lot to do. If you're like me you enjoy the process.

If you haven't replaced the hoses in the rear heater lines, consider adding that to your list. The topic was covered in detail here, keeping the hard lines and replacing the old hoses with new.

I see you've got the tailgate and not the barn doors on your '98. I've got the barn doors and I like them, but their weatherstripping requires attention because it often leads to leaks.
I've learned a lot and the process is quite enjoyable actually. I just wish I had more time to do things.

This is a very low budget project so unless it is broken or I want/need to change something its not going to happen
I got no problems whit rear heater hoses at the moment so that is not a priority. There are more urgent things I need to fix.

First I wished I had the barn doors but now I like the tailgate better. I live in the wet cost and a little awning is nice when I open up the rear glass. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers