heavy tapping at cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m13hty

Reaction score
ok guys im a newbie to this site but i searched it and couldnt find my answer. not saying it hasnt already been answered, but i cant find it..
when i start my truck first thing in the morning or after it has been sitting for awhile it "taps" for a few seconds and then fades away. its been doing this for a few weeks. until today, i started it and it "tapped" for over a minute even after i pulled outta the driveway with it it was still tapping! so im very concerned,, i change the oil very often. more often then its needed. i always put lucas treatment in it. my truck is a 1998 with a 350vortec, it as 258k miles on it (i know alot thats alot!) my dad tells me its prolly the lifters but i shouldnt adjust em, i should just buy new ones. and my uncle tells me i can just adjust them. both are mechanics.. so i turn to you guys lol. thanks for reading all this and thanks in advance for any help!!!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vortec valvetrain its not adjustable factory. If it is a lifter then it needs replacement...

Holy cow did you put an old power stroke in your truck? Or old 95 or so ford ambulance sounded like that all the time

m13hty

Reaction score
The vortec valvetrain its not adjustable factory. If it is a lifter then it needs replacement...

ok thanks man! yeah napa has em for $155 all 16. any tips for when me and my unc take on this task?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been told from a few mechanics that its my main bearings. My neighbor has the same truck as I do and he had to do the same and he replaced the crank, rod bearings and main bearings. he has not had the noise since!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok thanks man! yeah napa has em for $155 all 16. any tips for when me and my unc take on this task?

Do them one at a time and keep the pushrods in the same spot. Its not hard just pull the intake and valve covers. Loosen the rocker arm bolt till you can pull out the push rod then pull out the lifter replace it and put the push rod back and torque therocket arm bolt back down. Repeat 15 more times lol...

Oh you have to remove the spider like retainer to get to the lifters its under the intake

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Holy cow did you put an old power stroke in your truck? Or old 95 or so ford ambulance sounded like that all the time

powerstroke? more like one of my old farm tractors lol

Thats on a good day:lol: you should hear it some other days it gets worse:lol: