Heavier oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My rpms were bumped up to about 650 or so. The OP is now at 20. Like I said my iac code is being thrown now. I tried turning it up to about 750 and the idle started to bounce ever so slightly. Not enough to see a noticeable difference in the needle on the gauge but you can hear it. I have had an issue with the damn iac for quite some time now. Replaced most if not all of the vacuum lines. My egr has never been replaced since I have had the truck but I did a quick test by depressing the diaphragm on it and the idle stared to stutter which from what I understand is supposed to happen. But I don't have a vacuum pump to test it completely and the right way. Egr and map sensor are pretty much the only two sensors left that aren't replaced. Because of the oil leakage, the truck has been ran low of oil a few times but I change oil frequently. I probably change it sooner than 3000 honestly and always run full synthetic.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck seems to run a little sluggish too. This tends to be random. Either it runs good or runs sluggish.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
20 PSI. at 650 RPMs is not bad. I never ran synthetic, but doesn't your OP drop a little with synthetic? So I did a yahoo searcch on IAC code 35 and there is a lot of good info there. I think I had to change out my IAC motor on my 93 when I had it. I had a low idle and it was a little irregular. Like you I had a code 35. After I changed it I ne er had an issue with it again.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iac motor? Are you referring to the iac valve? I've replaced this twice already. I'm going to take a can or carb cleaner to everything tmmrw. Maybe it's a really really small leak somewhere.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes IAC valve, it was called motor on one web sight

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be honest I can't remember but I really don't think so. I don't remember there even being a procedure or set up in the instructions. Usually I check that stuff out. Do you know the procedure off the top of your head?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was an auto mechanic at a Lincoln Mercury dealer in 1977-78 (telling my age I'm 56) we would take a propane torch, and crack it open with out lightning it, and where the propane was coming out, we would slowly pass the unlight torch over all the vacuum lines with the engine running. If the engine speeds up, there is a leak there. Between doing that, and working on that troublesome EGR valve, maybe you can finally nail down or rule out your issue.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually tried that a couple months back and came out with nothing. I've been slowly thinking about it and thinking about how I'm just overall fed up with the fact that it leaks so much oil, always has an issue running somehow and most of all how it's gutless. I may end up just pulling the whole drivetrain after I get back from my trip this weekend and slowly gathering parts for a swap.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After all of our post back and forth, it seems like you have covered all the bases. I totally under stand your frustration. I fought a bad fuel pump on my truck for months. The truck ran grate till 3000 RPM, then the power would just fall off, and it was hard to start if it sat a day or so. I tried everything under the sun, not realizing that a week fuel pump in a Vortec will do that. I changed out my pump, and the truck runs like a bat out of hell, and it starts with just a bump of the key, but I was so frustrated with it I wanted to sell it. Now I am glade I didn't. Something so little and simple can make such a big difference in the way the truck runs. Maybe your swap will go good, and the truck will be what you want it to. Keep me posted, I would like to know how it turns out for you, you can PM me if you want to.