Heater not working? Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
So i give up, i need a hand guys, i cant figure out this for the life of me

When i got my 1996, everything worked great, but then slowly i was loosing fan speeds and i figured it was time to do the resistor.

by the time i actually did the resistor i had high only. put a new one in, no change!

but a new fan speed switch in, no change...

last night i tested the fan, worked okay. put a jumper cable from the neg post battery right to a stud on the firewall and another from neg to alt case.

no difference.

got a used climate control panel out of a truck from the wreckers, tested in truck before putting it in, STILL no difference.

decided to get the harness for the resistor/relay. spliced that in.

still no difference.

and my high doesnt always work, it is intermittent, i literally have nothing or sometimes high?!

thoughts!!

EDIT: also ran a wire right from fan ground right to bat neg, and i have been through like 5 relays, no difference at all

Last edited:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
check the body side connector (male) for the fan speed on the back of the HVAC controls, I had the same problem you had TWICE, the resistor was drawing to much current and melting the wire, I bet your connector is melted man.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
on my cousins truck the connector to the ac control head was burned up. we had to replace the control head and a new connector. so maybe that happened to yours and you replaced the control head and didn't notice the burned wires?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
just put the fan out of my 1994 in my 1996, fan is a OEM Delco, works great in Orange truck, same problems.

its not the plug on the back of the controls, i had 3 different controls in it last couple days...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
So you checked the fuse, relay, replaced resistor, tried know good working fan, connectors are fine..

There really isnt much more to check.. there has to be a bad connection somewhere if its intermittent.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
So you checked the fuse, relay, replaced resistor, tried know good working fan, connectors are fine..

There really isnt much more to check.. there has to be a bad connection somewhere if its intermittent.

We have literally checked everything, my friend is a red seal mechanic and works at a wreckers, so last night me and him tried abunch of stuff while I was at his place (he lives in a house at the wreckers) so we tried different stuff to see what my problem is, then I was going to pay afterwards

But for the life of us we can't figure it out, checked all fuses an relays, everything seems okay.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Took controller out again, just to double check, all plug look fine, no melting, all of them look perfect?

I'm so lost dudes?!

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the printed circuit board on the controller for lifting on the trace. I have had dozen's of these over the years that worked until you touched them. I junk a dozen trucks a year and 96-98 hvac controls are getting hard to find in working order.