Heater goes "tick,tick,tick,tick,tick"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The actuator for floor to dash is on the left side, not to bad to change. (right above gas pedal under dash) just pull out two bolts and disconnect harness, and pull straight out. Align new one with the slot on the shaft when you install. The recirculation actuator is a pain, one bolt on the top took me an hour to get out , and even longer to install. (you can't see it and I could only use a rachet one click at a time)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Get under the dash and listen/stick your hand on the actuators while you hear the "ticking" sound.

Until you get in there and check it out everyone is just guessing.

A recic actuator does not effect whether you get windshield or floor heat.

If the recirc actuator is ticking and you can't change the upper/lower heat, you've got two seperate issues going on ...

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I copy and pasted sum posts I made at tyf i think might b useful here...

You must be registered for see images attach

So with that said... Made a discovery 2day...

I found the 3rd accuator..!

But as you can see sunlitcomet was rite... With this obstruction in the way its damn near impossible 2 remove this thing...

Sorry to leave you guys hanging... But this the progress...

So I was to chicken to remove the dash, so I drilled just under the A/C vent left of the glovebox...

And the metal braket behind that as well...

And vawla (im sure I misspelled that)..!

There she was...

And after all that it still didnt fix my problem... So a new HVAC unit is in store next...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
And vawla (im sure I misspelled that)..!

There she was...

That is a bloody good idea!

Oh yeah; "voilà".

That's french don-cha-know!

:lol:

ksalling

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 91... I had to remove the heater core box (I was replacing the heater core anyway) and was able to get in there to change it out... about an hour of work. I ended up leaving one of the mounting screws out though it was just easier that way.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I havent been able to do any work on the heater. I got caught up with a bad upper respiratory infection. So I'm gonna jump back on this in a few days.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats what my 98 Tahoe does, my actuator by my gas pedal works, until it gets warmer im not going to rip my dash apart.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are several actuators and such in the assembly. The blend door simply adjusts the temperature of the air. The recirc. Door actuator controls whether you want interior/exterior air circulating.

Another door adjusts the flow, it is located to the right of the factory amplifier under the dash, behi d the cigarette lighter assembly.

Look around that area under the dash, and press the Floor button on the heater control. You should see the small linkages move.

If you can identify the part I am talking about, try and "help" the linkages to move a little with your finger. I had to do that once, fixed my defrost only problem in the truck. Blew a bunch of crap out of there too.