Heater core hose quick disconnect upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A-2 ace

Reaction score
Today I had to tackle the task of replacing one of these s.o.b's.. I wanted to change it out to a Earl's AN fitting, but not sure what to buy? Anyone know how to go about doing this?

A-2 ace

Reaction score
Have you had any problems with your heater core? When you switched from the quick connect to the barbed fitting?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original fitting is restricted so that the heater core doesn't explode when the RPM goes way up. It's necked-down internally to less than 1/4" diameter. Note restricted fitting on this TBI engine, "below" distributor at lower-left in this photo.

You must be registered for see images attach

You install a non-restricted fitting, expect problems when you wind the engine up. The radiator cap pressure is added to the water-pump pressure. Pump pressure is significant at high RPM.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Parts stores always have these on the shelf, cleaner and easier just to shove a new one in. Takes all of 30 seconds and easier to take apart in the future.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will be just fine the barb fitting. Millions of SBC's made with similar setups that haven't exploded.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use top quality heater hoses. Cheap imports will fail prematurely.
Spring clamps are nice too. Not rough on the hose, yet maintains constant pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk