Quick disconnect replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be a sticky about this cause it is a common problem, well rear quick disconnect is leaking on my truck (95 Tahoe 350 TBI) I have read that Dorman makes a stronger one to replace the crappy factory one and run a hose from there, what has anyone else done? And any pics?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The quick fix is to just install a barbed fitting into the manifold, and slip the hose over it and put a standard clamp on it.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh snap i did this!
copied from thread

alright there was more pics of the **** corroded but i guess they got deleted but i cleaned the corrosion off then began to take it apart

TYPICALLY THE FITTING WILL BREAK SO BE CAREFUL AND PATIENT!
got the fitting and hose off without breaking the fitting :success: had to use a razor blade to cut into the hose a bit for it to slide off easy but got it done now just gotta get a new fitting and hose and put it on and top of the fluid :yeah:

You must be registered for see images attach

after walking to oreillys and coming back the guy gave me the wrong stuff so i went back (after i had a ride) and exchanged out the hose and whatnot and picked up the fitting i ordered but before i left i test fitted it on the hose and it was to small so the guy there (different dude then before thankfully) went and grabbed a different fitting that fit perfectly and was a hell of a lot more help then the other dude (maybe bc he had prior experience in gm Chrysler etc auto fields.) he completely understood what i was doin he was like so your getting rid of the crappy quick connect and just running a hose and i was like ya! and he was more then helpful

alright so heres for future reference if someone needs to know what to get idk if it varies between obs's but its probably different for nbs and etc.

but here is what i got
i read multiple different sources that said the fitting was 5/8s by 1/2 well that proved to be wrong well at least for me it did

prt numbers are for oreillys

i got a murray ac fitting 3/4 Inch Hose X 1/2 Inch Mp (prt number 84733)
guy gave me 2 ft of 3/4 inch hose
bought some clamps

wrapped the threads of the fitting with some of that Teflon white thread tape screwed it in then just connected the hose at the manifold then the heater core and tightened the clamps. I ended up pouring a little water into the overflow to be safe since a little fluid dripped out as i was removing the old one!

yes i know its dirty under the hood i realize that

2 foot of hose worked perfectly

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'm just worried about it snapping off someone said a socket helps apply pressure as you remove it, such and easy thing to do but could go wrong

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
iirc i used an open end closed end wrench and took it slow, ive heard of it snapping i was lucky enough to steer clear of it!

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I had one snap on my 95. I had to remove the intake an clean the pieces out of the motor. I had hell trying the clean the threads of the broken connector. Got it all back together an the truck never ran right again. I'm afraid I may have to do this again. Any tips on this would be awesome

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had to replace both in my truck. both of mine snapped when removing them. i had to chisel the old one out and used a pipe with a groove cut in it to get all the old gunk out and clean up the thread. i just put in new quick disconnects and i haven't had a problem since

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Did you leave the broken pieces in the intake? I was afraid it would tear something else up

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up having the shop do it didn't wanna deal with it if it broke